Offshore Sea Phase - What to Expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offshore Sea Phase - What to Expect

So, I sign off from college next Wednesday and that's Phase 1 over! Then I guess there'll be a bit of waiting around for my airport call and then off flying to Brazil!

Just thought I'd put a post up to see if anyone can give me a heads up on what to expect my first sea phase being like on a PSV? I've read plenty of posts about people on bulk carriers, box boats and the like but not heard much from those who have served on Offshore vessels!

Cheers!
    Ex-South Shields Cadet

Currently trying to pass exams...

Follow me on Instagram if you like pictures of coffee, bay plans and Jotun paint : @jacobontheground

All cadets get the same on there first sea phase no matter what boat. It's gonna be chipping and painting ! You should spend most of your time on the deck learning about the work required to keep the vessel running and maybe the odd day on the bridge to get the basics but most of your time should be on deck.

Comment

Depends how busy the psv is. Initially there will be some keeping out the way while you learn not to stand under the rig crane and stuff like that :-) but there are still system to learn, actual routines to get into.....it's just the samer o be honest just smaller and potentially busier :-)
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks guys, yeah we're all expecting a fair bit of chipping and painting!
        Ex-South Shields Cadet

Follow me on Instagram if you like pictures of coffee, bay plans and Jotun paint : @jacobontheground

Comment

You will most likely be spending a lot of time with the deck crew.

I would expect to see a first trip cadet on a PSV chipping, painting, getting involved in lashing and unlashing of cargo, spending time with the junior deck officers doing safety gear maintenance, doing weekly routines such as greasing etc. as well as spending a little time on the bridge.

I am sure they will tell you this when you are onboard, but the back deck on a PSV is potentially a very dangerous place, so keep your wits about you, wear the correct PPE EVERY TIME, stop and look EVERY TIME, before you step onto the deck (whether you are working cargo or not) and listen to what the crew are telling you, with a little common sense and by being aware of the risks you can work perfectly safely.

Hope you have a great trip, one of the good things about supply work is that you tend to get a good amount of time in port, it's very easy just to go to the nearest bar, but try to do something a little more cultural educational as well from time to time.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

As noted before in your first sea phase you will spend a lot of time working with the deck crew doing planned maintenance. Offshore vessels that go to work in for long term in Brazil on hire to Petrobras etc. normally have to change over to at least 50% Brazilian crew, so all the deck crew will probably be Brazillian and from the people I've spoken to that have worked with them say they don't speak much English. I've heard of translators been hired to work on the Bridge when officers are unable to speak Portuguese. Might be an idea to take a Brazilian Portuguese phrase book with you to help pick up a few phrases, it's meant to be easier to learn than European Portuguese as they speak a bit slower.

Comment

Cheers for all the replies! I'll have a look for a phrase book while I'm waiting for my call to join the ship!
              Ex-South Shields Cadet

Comment

Working...
              X