Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColRegs and Orals

Hi guys,
    I was just thinking forward to my orals and about the potential questions and i came to a problem i could not solve my self

In the orals when the examiner asks you about the ColRegs will it be such as

"what is rule 24?" and expect the full rule?
    Or
    "what is rule 24(c)" and expect just once specific part of the rule
    Also, does he want it word for word like from Regs or does he want it in my own words, so he knows i understand it.

Or am i completely missing the point?

Im know my ColRegs but just the whole rule, so i'd be able to recite the whole rule in order, and would stumble if someone asked for a specific part of a rule.

Originally posted by Laser View Post
    Hi guys,
    I was just thinking forward to my orals and about the potential questions and i came to a problem i could not solve my self

In the orals when the examiner asks you about the ColRegs will it be such as

"what is rule 24?" and expect the full rule?
    Or
    "what is rule 24(c)" and expect just once specific part of the rule
    Also, does he want it word for word like from Regs or does he want it in my own words, so he knows i understand it.

Or am i completely missing the point?

Im know my ColRegs but just the whole rule, so i'd be able to recite the whole rule in order, and would stumble if someone asked for a specific part of a rule.
    In my orals and others in my class it was can you give me in your own words rule 10. I don't think they will ask you word for word ! As long as you know the kind of main rules you should be fine

Comment

In mine he asked definitions and they need to be word for word obviously

First came the smarty boards. Boards with different coloured magnets on them which represents the lights, and I had to tell him what it was, it's day shape if any and It's sound signal in restricted viz.

He didn't ask me at any point "what is rule....", He had wooden models and he would put them in varying traffic situations I.E- I was on a vessel CBD in a narrow channel, and then he'd put a fishing vessel crossing from port and ask my action, and obviously my action showed if I knew the rule or not. I know of a guy who failed because he could parrot fashion the rules word for word, but when asked to apply them in situations like above, didn't understand them. I always found starting the sentence with the main rule helped.... " As per rule 18, I am the give way vessel and as such I would......." or if you forget and and are stuck on rule numbers you can get away with " This is a crossing situation where I am the stand on vessel" and miss out the rule number all together I say mention the main rule because you're pretty much always applying rules 4-9

Comment

Working...
      X