Quick Question about training salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question about training salary

For CMT it states ?175 a week at college and ?120 a week when at sea plus the possibility of SAAS student funding.

What I want to know is does your sponsor company pay you when at sea also?

Thanks.

Yes, ?120 per week.

Comment

Originally posted by kirky1122 View Post
      For CMT it states ?175 a week at college and ?120 a week when at sea plus the possibility of SAAS student funding.

What I want to know is does your sponsor company pay you when at sea also?

Thanks.
      It's not a salary, it's a subsistence allowance or bursary...
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

So the ?120 CMT talks about is what youll get when at sea, and 175 plus saas if youre eligible when at college?

Comment

Originally posted by kirky1122 View Post
          So the ?120 CMT talks about is what youll get when at sea, and 175 plus saas if youre eligible when at college?
          Yes....

Comment

Should also point out if you're applying for SAAS funding, it will only cover you for the HNC/ HND part of your course, not orals prep or so on... if you're in the January intake this will also screw it up slightly as it runs for the traditional academic year. Just thought I'd mention that.

I would say you can live without the additional SAAS funding but it is tough, as a mature cadet without parents to fall back on for somewhere to live/ financial help, CMT wages after paying rent/ bills while at sea left me with ?50 a month. I basically couldn't afford to be home on leave for longer than a couple of weeks. The way sea phases worked out made it very difficult to get any kind of part time work as well. Some sponsoring companies do pay better than others though.

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
              Should also point out if you're applying for SAAS funding, it will only cover you for the HNC/ HND part of your course, not orals prep or so on... if you're in the January intake this will also screw it up slightly as it runs for the traditional academic year. Just thought I'd mention that.

I would say you can live without the additional SAAS funding but it is tough, as a mature cadet without parents to fall back on for somewhere to live/ financial help, CMT wages after paying rent/ bills while at sea left me with ?50 a month. I basically couldn't afford to be home on leave for longer than a couple of weeks. The way sea phases worked out made it very difficult to get any kind of part time work as well. Some sponsoring companies do pay better than others though.
              Further to that.... the first college phase is an NC or Diploma and so you can't get Saas funding until phase 3.

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post

Aye, that's just reminded me. Stay as far away from the massive overdrafts and credit cards if you can. I know a few folks who went nuts using them and are still having issues today because of that.

CMT don't pay much, but you are able to live on what they give you. I did (I wasn't eligible for SAAS nor did I have much in the way of family support to count on, I had no choice).....

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                  Aye, that's just reminded me. Stay as far away from the massive overdrafts and credit cards if you can. I know a few folks who went nuts using them and are still having issues today because of that.

CMT don't pay much, but you are able to live on what they give you. I did.....
                  If you do use an overdraft (like I did a lot) go to the bank and change your account to a student account and you may end up with an interest free overdraft.

Comment

Cheers guys!

Comment

Yeah student overdraft I would say is generally ok. The most they will give you I think is about ?2.5k and it will be interest free so doesn't cost you anything. You should probably be able to pay that back with your first couple of months salary after qualified and you usually get a year to pay it back before they start charging interest anyway. Obviously be careful with it and don't blow it all in a week on big tellys and other useless stuff.

Credit cards are a bit more dangerous imo and I would probably avoid them as a cadet.

Comment

Without stating the obvious, different companies pay different amounts to their cadets.
                        'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Working...
                        X