Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EOOW Orals, Crosby MCA Office.

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd jot down what I can remember from my orals on Wednesday, in the hope that it might help out other members in the future. There may be some things I overlook, due to a not insignificant amount of Gin consumed shortly thereafter my orals in celebration, sorry. Anyway, here goes.

Tell me about the ship's you've been on. What type are they? Engine makes and model numbers?

Suppose you're joining a ship you've never been on for the first time, how would you familiarise yourself with the plant?

Describe what you would check during a watch keeping routine.

What safety devices would you find fitted to the cylinder head on a large two stroke main engine?

What safety devices would you find fitted to the scavenge trunk?

What safety devices would you find in the crankcase?

How would you start a reciprocating two-stage compressor from cold, and what checks would you make? How would you test a compressor's efficiency?

Did your ships have boilers? What type were they, and what were their working temps/pressures?

What fittings would you expect to find on your boiler?

How would you blow down the gauge glass to check that it was working properly? *To answer this one, he had me demonstrate on a diagram of a gauge glass he brought over*

How would you parallel a generator onto the board, and what checks would you need to make?

How would you go about operating your ship's fixed fire fighting equipment?

Where would you find the fire plan? What's the international shore connection, and what would you expect to find with it?

What would you expect to find in a high pressure Co2 room?

How would you operate a controllable pitch propeller in an emergency? *This examiner seems to like asking about 4-stroke medium speed plant layouts if like me, you only have experience on low speed 2-strokes directly driving a fixed pitch prop. I read up on CPP, clutches and gearboxes beforehand to be on the safe side*

What does ISM mean to you?

What's SOPEP?

-End of Exam-

Well, this is what I can recall so far, but it probably isn't exhaustive. If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post and update it.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I've never seen a 2 stroke engine, is he likely to ask me about two strokes?>
      "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
      the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
      the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
      or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
      start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

Originally posted by jcwilson91 View Post
        Quite possibly....
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by jcwilson91 View Post
          I would have thought so.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
          X