What books would you suggest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books would you suggest?

As part of the pre-cadetship at South Tyneside I have an assignment on ships steering gear. What book would you suggest for information?
    Phase 2 Cadet
    Evergreen Marine (UK) Ltd.
    South Shields Marine School

Depends on what you need to know.

There will be some marine engineering books in the library about the different types. I think the bridge procedures guide has a section on emergency steering systems. Solas has the related legal requirements.

Comment

What specifically do you need to know about steering gear? I think the seamanship techniques book by DJ House might have some stuff in it (not 100% sure but it is massive and has pretty much everything else in it). I imagine your college library will have a copy.

Comment

I need to know the following;
        operation of the steering gear
        rules and regulations
        Phase 2 Cadet

Comment

MSN 1671 for regulations on construction
          SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 26 for Testing and Drills

An Introduction to Marine Engineering by DA Taylor will give you detailed technical information if you are interested.

I am sure the library will have lots of books on the subject!!
          If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

The big blue bible for ETO's i think has the basic electrical stuff, "practical marine electrical knowledge" should be able to get it in the library at STC, for the rules and regulations check out SOLAS, this has all the stuff that needs to be checked and how oftern. If you know any one on ship then it would help asking them what they do, as a lot may do different weekly, monthly even if not required on the different steering gear control.

Comment

Okii dokii I'll check to see whether the library has these books in then have a read of them
              Phase 2 Cadet

Comment

Unless STC have thrown out some books they have multiple copies of all the above mentioned books.......occasionally they sell off tatty copies for pennies compared to new cost......keep an eye out and get them if you can
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Managed to pick a copy up of the majority that were suggested.
                  Phase 2 Cadet

Comment

Working...
                  X