Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis
    replied
    I know that I was responding to IFHP's post.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    Not necessarily I've seen plenty of people with C/O ticket sailing as seconds.
    Just because someone has a C/O's ticket does not mean that they will automatically start working as a C/O. Being promoted by your company to any of the top four ranks is not an automatic right, you have to work your way through the company's procedures to get there and then that's only if you're good enough and warrant it.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by IFHP View Post
    Well people with the ticket don't need to re-sit the writtens to revalidate as they are doing the job in the first place. However I do agree that competency should be constantly assessed.
    Not necessarily I've seen plenty of people with C/O ticket sailing as seconds.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew93 View Post
    Is this the same for engineering side as well? I'm in phase 3 of the PD course at Glasgow and it is horrible, lots of classes and no time to actually learn, we had an exam the first week we got back, we have been told numerous times it's all for exemptions upto to chief engineer but I would rather do more practical and theory of all the systems onboard instead of creating a formula to find the deflection on a beam!
    Possibly. I know before 2009 you had the exemptions whether you were doing PD or HNC/D, but now I'm not so sure.

Do we not have an MNTB rep kicking about the site somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Matthew93
    replied
    Is this the same for engineering side as well? I'm in phase 3 of the PD course at Glasgow and it is horrible, lots of classes and no time to actually learn, we had an exam the first week we got back, we have been told numerous times it's all for exemptions upto to chief engineer but I would rather do more practical and theory of all the systems onboard instead of creating a formula to find the deflection on a beam!

Leave a comment:

• Martyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by laura View Post
    You would hope that would be partly covered onboard by the Captain/ Chief... but I mean for example there so many variables and competency on one ship type doesn't guarantee competency across the board. How would you want to measure this? Just out of curiosity?
    The problem is though Laura, we all have "across the board" certificates of competency, and while I get what your saying, if your an anchor handling wizard you will most likely be clueless how to load a cargo of crude, we are qualified. I don't know if I agree with resitting your orals/writtens every time you re-validate your ticket, but how many senior officers out there have picked up bad habbits and stick to them as that's how they've done it for years........ Why go to starboard when it's just easier to go to port etc

Leave a comment:

• laura
    replied
    You would hope that would be partly covered onboard by the Captain/ Chief... but I mean for example there so many variables and competency on one ship type doesn't guarantee competency across the board. How would you want to measure this? Just out of curiosity?

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    Originally posted by IFHP View Post
    Well people with the ticket don't need to re-sit the writtens to revalidate as they are doing the job in the first place. However I do agree that competency should be constantly assessed.
    Absolutely, there should be something in place for revalidation to ensure competency.

Leave a comment:

• IFHP
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    If it's that much of a concern, if those of us that got exemptions are so dangerous. Why not back date it? Why do those already qualified not have to sit the exams? For that matter maybe everyone should have to resit them to revalidate their ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Martyboy
    replied
    Ahh I see. Yea my company choose my route as well, although I don't have highers so no option He'll be qaulified before you know it....

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied
    FD, and as you say has the rest to get through yet! The decision on which course was his sponsor so investigating the differences never played a part. This was for my own personal understanding I find education interesting!

Leave a comment:

• Martyboy
    replied
    What route is your young cadet following?? Still got OOW to get through before worrying about the mates stuff :P

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied
    Great got it sorted in my head thank you. Hopefully all my questions will be useful for others when they do a search.

Leave a comment:

• EH75
    replied
    Interested to see how the FD is structured compared to the PD in Scotland given they are theoretically supposed to be of a similar level. Someone told me that the only reason its not called a "foundation degree" in Scotland is that because under the Scottish Education system you can't call something a degree unless it is awarded by a university or something. Not sure if that's true or not. Was also told that the PD is actually technically a slightly higher level qualification on the SQF Framework than the FD (FD is level 8 and PD level 9). Again that could be nonsense.

Anyway as I said before the PD is made up as follows:

Phase 1: Entire OOW syllabus and HNC
    Phase 3: Entire HND syllabus (chief mate level) and PD modules consisting of leadership, decision making and project management. These are assessed through WBL at sea (running "projects" on board etc)
    Phase 5: Short courses, orals prep.

Anyone on the FD want to say how that compares to what you guys do? I believe there is a lot more coursework than what we do just from what I was told by other cadets I was on ship with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X