No announcement yet.

Exemptions cutoff date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FD, and as you say has the rest to get through yet! The decision on which course was his sponsor so investigating the differences never played a part. This was for my own personal understanding I find education interesting!

Comment

Ahh I see. Yea my company choose my route as well, although I don't have highers so no option He'll be qaulified before you know it....

Comment

If it's that much of a concern, if those of us that got exemptions are so dangerous. Why not back date it? Why do those already qualified not have to sit the exams? For that matter maybe everyone should have to resit them to revalidate their ticket.

Comment

Well people with the ticket don't need to re-sit the writtens to revalidate as they are doing the job in the first place. However I do agree that competency should be constantly assessed.

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
            Well people with the ticket don't need to re-sit the writtens to revalidate as they are doing the job in the first place. However I do agree that competency should be constantly assessed.
            Absolutely, there should be something in place for revalidation to ensure competency.

Comment

You would hope that would be partly covered onboard by the Captain/ Chief... but I mean for example there so many variables and competency on one ship type doesn't guarantee competency across the board. How would you want to measure this? Just out of curiosity?

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
                You would hope that would be partly covered onboard by the Captain/ Chief... but I mean for example there so many variables and competency on one ship type doesn't guarantee competency across the board. How would you want to measure this? Just out of curiosity?
                The problem is though Laura, we all have "across the board" certificates of competency, and while I get what your saying, if your an anchor handling wizard you will most likely be clueless how to load a cargo of crude, we are qualified. I don't know if I agree with resitting your orals/writtens every time you re-validate your ticket, but how many senior officers out there have picked up bad habbits and stick to them as that's how they've done it for years........ Why go to starboard when it's just easier to go to port etc

Comment

Is this the same for engineering side as well? I'm in phase 3 of the PD course at Glasgow and it is horrible, lots of classes and no time to actually learn, we had an exam the first week we got back, we have been told numerous times it's all for exemptions upto to chief engineer but I would rather do more practical and theory of all the systems onboard instead of creating a formula to find the deflection on a beam!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew93 View Post
                    Is this the same for engineering side as well? I'm in phase 3 of the PD course at Glasgow and it is horrible, lots of classes and no time to actually learn, we had an exam the first week we got back, we have been told numerous times it's all for exemptions upto to chief engineer but I would rather do more practical and theory of all the systems onboard instead of creating a formula to find the deflection on a beam!
                    Possibly. I know before 2009 you had the exemptions whether you were doing PD or HNC/D, but now I'm not so sure.

Do we not have an MNTB rep kicking about the site somewhere?
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
                      Not necessarily I've seen plenty of people with C/O ticket sailing as seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                        Not necessarily I've seen plenty of people with C/O ticket sailing as seconds.
                        Just because someone has a C/O's ticket does not mean that they will automatically start working as a C/O. Being promoted by your company to any of the top four ranks is not an automatic right, you have to work your way through the company's procedures to get there and then that's only if you're good enough and warrant it.
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I know that I was responding to IFHP's post.

Comment

Working...
                          X