Airline hand luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline hand luggage

Is their a standard maximum size for hand luggage or is each airline different?

They all have their own policy, but tend to be similar.

Comment

Unless youre flying easyjet or ryanair for a cheap holiday, theyve recently changed their rules.
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Find out before you fly.. when I travel to West Africa it's with hand luggage only (keep work clothes onboard and not everything turns up), but it is worth checking out Air France/ KLM are 8kg (they don't always check)BA is one bag + laptop bag or purse and you have to be able to lift it yourself- I've found that although my hand luggage is exactly the same size as a hard trolley bag it's soft and they are less picky about it even when it weighs more than my colleagues it doesn't look like it- would be handy sometimes with wheels though!

Some airlines will want you to show them ENG1/ seaman's book/ joining letter- others don't. Depends where you're flying from.. check out allowance though the night before, it's a life saver sometimes!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it would be a standard x inches by y inches by z inches. I am finding my laptop bag is to small for joining ship. Especially with my training record book and my Nav and ops work book has now got stupidly big. I was going to buy a new rucksack but knowing my luck I will end up with one that's one millimetre to big or one gram to heavy.

Comment

It varies by airline, however a normal sized rucksack (similar to a school bag size or slightly larger) will not cause you any problems. You can also get ones with a reenforced part for a laptop - although these tend to be heavier.

Occasionally I have had (KLM) checking the weight of it - but most don't even look twice.

On a side note; you will have to haul your electronics out of it to go through security (it does vary by airport - some eg. Amsterdam are a pain in the ass and wanted portable hard drives and the cables hauled out too)! I have started putting my laptop + iPad and hard drives into a neoprene case (I think that's what its called) inside the rucksack, that way I can easily pull em out / put them back in when going through security without having to search for things & most airports so far have no problem with them all going through inside the neoprene case as long as there separate from rest of your stuff.

Welcome to the world of flight connections and having your duty free confiscated by airport security in London / Europe!
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I got a everki bag which is excellent, cost a lot but life time guarantee, separate pouch for my laptop which is quite a large one. Had no problems with it.

Think now they even have special ones for airports that are a good size and open in a special way so you don't have to take out your electronics!

Comment

Been their before Alistair When I went through airport in Spain made some security types very nervous. I had no idea why till my case was opened basically I had packed a box of cigars with laptop cables on top then laptop on top of that. The guy running the Xray machine looked like he had a little trouser accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  Been their before Alistair When I went through airport in Spain made some security types very nervous. I had no idea why till my case was opened basically I had packed a box of cigars with laptop cables on top then laptop on top of that. The guy running the Xray machine looked like he had a little trouser accident.
                  It's always fun trying to explain to a french person who refuses to speak english why you have 4 portable hard drives in your bag.. I think I managed something along the lines of "I work ship" with my limited french knowledge... (One of the many reasons I hate CDG)
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Don't say that i'll be at a French airport to fly home on Wednesday. Although I only have three.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                      It's always fun trying to explain to a french person who refuses to speak english why you have 4 portable hard drives in your bag.. I think I managed something along the lines of "I work ship" with my limited french knowledge... (One of the many reasons I hate CDG)
                      Why should he speak English? You're in his country.....

Anywho, aye, I normally get pulled for the laptop, i've never been pulled up for my camera kit (which is what my hand luggage mostly consists of...)
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Always make sure you check every leg of your journey for luggage, nothing worse then getting half way and finding you need to pay a surcharge as the luggage allowance is less.

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                        Why should he speak English? You're in his country.....
                        This is where someone usually mentiosn the war, yawn! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
                          This is where someone usually mentiosn the war, yawn! :P
                          Don't, just please dont....
                          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Hahaha, that is why I said, yawn

Comment

Working...
                            X