Four handy shipping ltdo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four handy shipping ltdo

Just found out I am being sponsered by four handy shipping ltd. Has anyone here worked for them or have any information about them ? Cant find a great deal on the net.

All Filipino crews is all I know from a friend and he served on handysize bulkers.
    "The man who goes to sea is a man in despair.";- Marco Polo

Comment

I know a guy who worked for them for 5 months and was fed the usual Filipino diet and had to leave early because he was basically malnourished.

Comment

Four Handy Cadets

Hi Jonny, I'm a current Four Handy cadet about to complete my cadetship very soon (Four handy is infact managed by V.Ships UK - the biggest shipping management company in the world, and based in Glasgow). The below comments are not accurate and I hope they haven't scared you off. Yes it will be full filipino crews, however these guys are very accomodating and very eager to teach you (far better than russian, ukrainians etc in terms of teaching from what I've been told). The food is filipino, however filipino food covers BBQ's, steak, pork, burgers, pizza, macaroni and things too, I was far from malnourished!!! If you have any more questions feel free to ask me for my email address or you can give me a call anytime. I've had a great cadetship, and the V.Ships guys will look after you!

I hope this has helped put your mind at ease!

Comment

Hi everyone, thought I'd resurrect this old thread rather than clog up the forums with a new one. I've also got Four Handy as my sponsoring company (via Clyde Marine). I'm about to finish phase one and am going to be off to sea with this lot in the not too distant future. Apparently I'm the first cadet they've ever put through Warsash so nobody around here or my training officer can tell me much about them. In addition to the above comments I was just wondering if anyone else on the forums can give any first or even second hand information on what its like to be a cadet on their ships. I understand I'm very likely to be the only brit on board (not a problem) and that the food will cater to the Filipino majority (no problems there either, I could do with shedding a few pounds!). I also noticed on their website that the operate tankers as well as bulkers, I was wondering if anybody managed to get any sea time on the tankers, or is it bulkers only for cadets. Any information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Some Filipino food is delicious, some...... not so delicious.

Filipinos in general are fantastic people and you shouldn't have any problems getting along with them, but you may have to remind them to speak English during watch handovers and so on.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Out of all the crews I sailed with Filipinos were by far the best.
              io parlo morse

Comment

Hi All At Sea

Have you been told of the shipping routes for Four Handy?

Where are you spending Phase 2 sea time with them?

Where are you flying to and from where? All paid for I presume?

What is your time on and off rota?

Originally posted by All At Sea View Post
                Hi everyone, thought I'd resurrect this old thread rather than clog up the forums with a new one. I've also got Four Handy as my sponsoring company (via Clyde Marine). I'm about to finish phase one and am going to be off to sea with this lot in the not too distant future. Apparently I'm the first cadet they've ever put through Warsash so nobody around here or my training officer can tell me much about them. In addition to the above comments I was just wondering if anyone else on the forums can give any first or even second hand information on what its like to be a cadet on their ships. I understand I'm very likely to be the only brit on board (not a problem) and that the food will cater to the Filipino majority (no problems there either, I could do with shedding a few pounds!). I also noticed on their website that the operate tankers as well as bulkers, I was wondering if anybody managed to get any sea time on the tankers, or is it bulkers only for cadets. Any information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Hi Olly, unfortunately right now my answers to your questions are, in order:

No, but from my own research I can tell you they spend a fair bit of time on the South China Sea, they also do a few runs from South America to the US.

Don't know, could be anywhere really (which is actually pretty exciting)

Flying from either Southampton or Heathrow (my two nearest airports, Clyde will ask you to declare this at the start of your cadetship and you will always leave and return to the UK from these) no idea where I'll be flying to, yes the flights will be paid for.

This one I actually can answer, officially it's a week off for a month on during sea phase however this almost never happens, the idea is to get as much sea time as possible, you need at least 12 months from both sea phases before you can qualify and my training manager has advised me that they are going to aim for 15 because the more sea time you get, the easier the rest of the course will be.

Not particularly helpful I know, my phase 2 only started today and right now I'm sat at home waiting for the phone to ring. As soon as I have a confirmed berth Clyde will contact me and let me know the details, I stick those up here when they do.

I'm guessing you're a four handy cadet too, are you just starting phase 2 or starting phase 1 in September?

Comment

Hey thanks for your reply....been waiting in earnest for the reply and duly been done. Appreciate it.

Im about to start in Sept with them, really looking forward to the challenge.

South China Sea......and South America to US. Nice.......all I was ever looking for in a sponsor was to sail the Panama canal, but to add South China to it....wow.....brilliant...thanks for the info.....wont tell you I was last over in that area when the Brits owned HK....haha...

Re sea time and time off.....the more time on record the better. Im not one for part time work. Id rather do a 16 hour day if it was legal.....

Dont know if our paths will cross at Warsash, but if they do lets do a beer one night.

Thanks for your time in responding...and of course enjoy your time out at sea........this is where the fun begins....

Comment

No problem at all mate, it'll be good to see another Four Handy cadet around Warsash. Won't be back that way myself until January but that's a defo on the beer if you're still around.

When I find out my ship and itinerary I'll fire off a quick PM your way, in the mean time good luck with the course prep and subsequent phase 1. Enjoy it, I certainly did!

Comment

Originally posted by Olly2014 View Post
                        Hi All At Sea

Have you been told of the shipping routes for Four Handy?

Where are you spending Phase 2 sea time with them?

Where are you flying to and from where? All paid for I presume?

What is your time on and off rota?
                        Now that I've got my feet wet I'll try and answer those again.

1) Shipping routes are anywhere and everywhere. My ship is currently bringing grains from South America to Europe.

2) Still don't know the answer to that. I'm in Italy at the moment. Next we sail for Turkey, even the old man doesn't know where we'll be going after that!

3) flew from Southampton to Gibraltar, yes it was all paid for.

4) on board we work on the usual watch system of 4 on and 8 off. On the 4-8 watch. Expect to be put on the bridge immediately. The reason for this is that the ship spends days if not weeks in each port and that won't count towards your bridge watch keeping time. The long ports of call give you plenty of time to learn your deck operations.

hope this helps, PM me if you have any other questions. Could be a while before I can answer them but I'll be sure to get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X