Clear All

• Blondie
    replied
    RFA seems better with every post Steve

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    Do you get BFBS telly in your cabin too then?
    Yeah, there's ten channels or so, including one mostly in Nepali. Coverage is selective however, and focused on areas where British units regularly operate. There are some dead zones. If you have a switched on comms or SE team they can retune for free-to-air sat TV, which is usually slightly better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    Was one called red hot ... Lol

Leave a comment:

• Martyboy
    replied
    On my last ship I had a TV in my cabin which got freeview in the UK, and out at sea we could tune 4 free view channels from the satellite, or some Dansk channels

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Do you get BFBS telly in your cabin too then?

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by geordie dancer View Post
    you should have access to radio and a television in your cabin.
    Exact fit does vary, but I've not come across a full radio system yet. BFBS satellite radio is available through the TVs or decoder boxes. Some ships have cabin speakers connected to analogue radio(s), with local volume and sometimes channel controls and central control of tuning.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied
    And we all know that BFBS is all we'll ever need

Leave a comment:

• geordie dancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie View Post
    Well spotted Geordie, I am indeed hoping to join the RFA and you make a good point. So i take it these radios in the cabins will actually work?
    You wont get a full choice of stations, but you'll get BFBS Radio stations.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied
    Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
    Go and have a read of this:

http://www.officercadet.com/content....to-take-to-sea

Section 5 mentions the "best for the money" Shortwave radio. It also comes with a very long cable aerial.

Ian
    Cheers, I've already read that excellent article - I was just trying to get a broader overview rather than only one option.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied
    Originally posted by geordie dancer View Post
    @Blondie- I read on another thread that you will be an RFA cadet. Don't worry about taking a radio to sea- you should have access to radio and a television in your cabin.
    Well spotted Geordie, I am indeed hoping to join the RFA and you make a good point. So i take it these radios in the cabins will actually work?

Leave a comment:

• geordie dancer
    replied
    @Blondie- I read on another thread that you will be an RFA cadet. Don't worry about taking a radio to sea- you should have access to radio and a television in your cabin.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    Im looking forward to sitting out on the poop deck at night and seeing what short wave I can pick up, long wave too for that matter. Im no radio ham though

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Go and have a read of this:

http://www.officercadet.com/content....to-take-to-sea

Section 5 mentions the "best for the money" Shortwave radio. It also comes with a very long cable aerial.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Polaris
    replied
    Been checking out the suggestions so far, has anyone else got any other recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    I was on a ship where the ex radio officer ETO had an antenna stuck onto the external bulkhead with a magnet and the antenna through the porthole, only in port mind. He was a bit of a radio ham.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X