No announcement yet.

Radio Ga Ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Atlantic 252 when I was really young! Stopped broadcasting in 2002 apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Pilot Chris View Post
      Showing my age oops!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYqy9kAIPQ Memories?

Comment

Originally posted by Pilot Chris View Post
        Showing my age oops!
        Yeah whilst you were listening to it sailing across the Atlantic I was listening to it on my walkman delivering newspapers!

Comment

It always cracked me up when someone from some obscure island in the British island phoned up with a request! We once did a request via email over telex for all the 8-12 OOW's at sea
          Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

http://store.energysistem.com/en/pro..._electric_blue

I just got one of these am really impressed by it. Radio and TV only work costal but rest of time can be used for music and video.

Comment

I was on a ship where the ex radio officer ETO had an antenna stuck onto the external bulkhead with a magnet and the antenna through the porthole, only in port mind. He was a bit of a radio ham.
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Been checking out the suggestions so far, has anyone else got any other recommendations?

Comment

Go and have a read of this:

http://www.officercadet.com/content....to-take-to-sea

Section 5 mentions the "best for the money" Shortwave radio. It also comes with a very long cable aerial.

Ian
                  "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                  "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Im looking forward to sitting out on the poop deck at night and seeing what short wave I can pick up, long wave too for that matter. Im no radio ham though
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

@Blondie- I read on another thread that you will be an RFA cadet. Don't worry about taking a radio to sea- you should have access to radio and a television in your cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by geordie dancer View Post
                        @Blondie- I read on another thread that you will be an RFA cadet. Don't worry about taking a radio to sea- you should have access to radio and a television in your cabin.
                        Well spotted Geordie, I am indeed hoping to join the RFA and you make a good point. So i take it these radios in the cabins will actually work?
                        'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                          Go and have a read of this:

http://www.officercadet.com/content....to-take-to-sea

Section 5 mentions the "best for the money" Shortwave radio. It also comes with a very long cable aerial.

Ian
                          Cheers, I've already read that excellent article - I was just trying to get a broader overview rather than only one option.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                            Well spotted Geordie, I am indeed hoping to join the RFA and you make a good point. So i take it these radios in the cabins will actually work?
                            You wont get a full choice of stations, but you'll get BFBS Radio stations.

Comment

And we all know that BFBS is all we'll ever need

Comment

Originally posted by geordie dancer View Post
                                you should have access to radio and a television in your cabin.
                                Exact fit does vary, but I've not come across a full radio system yet. BFBS satellite radio is available through the TVs or decoder boxes. Some ships have cabin speakers connected to analogue radio(s), with local volume and sometimes channel controls and central control of tuning.

Comment

Working...
                                X