crossing the line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crossing the line

Anyone been through one of these "ceremonies" yet, I haven't heard much about them and I know I would, as I'm sure other people would like to hear any stories of the first time you crossed the equator!

There's a picture of Hatchorder after crossing the line somewhere on here

Comment

Not saying, otherwise you lot will know whats coming and that just isnt right...

Sent from the Batcave via carrier pigeon....
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Not giving much away - but if your on my Facebook you can find them in my old photos... but I believe cargo ship's are a little less civilised...

?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
          Not giving much away - but if your on my Facebook you can find them in my old photos... but I believe cargo ship's are a little less civilised...
          Your NOT WRONG!

IMG_6983.jpg (Click to see bigger)

My crossing the line ceremony in 1981 with 7 other fellow first trip cadets ....... (I'm on the right!)

Waste food left in drums for a week, grease, oil, ox blood, foam, rotting palm oil (it stank to high heaven) --- all washed off with fire hoses.

We got a bollocking for making a mess of the poop deck from the Mate and so we had to clean it all down and paint it on Sunday instead of having a day off!

Ian
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

my cruise ship style crossing the line ceremony punishment consisted of being covered in egg meringue by the entertainers followed by being thrown in the pool which was quite refreshing seeing as we were at the equator.

Im sure I will have to repeat the ceremony on a regular ship once they see my cruise ship certificate.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Not been across the line yet. Got to about 0? 30' north but that was as close as I came. Don't think I'll mention that I haven't done it when I start my new job. Don't really fancy this being covered in crap nonsense....

Comment

Guys! Come on! Stop giving all the good stuff away! They should be ready to experience it for themselves!
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

meringue is no secret - anyway that David Baboulene gave a lot of it away in his book.
                  Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I have a lot of pictures on my facebook of my crossing the line ceremony, and one after that where my job was to "beat" a confession out of people (with eggs of course) They are good fun and on most cargo ships, you get a BBQ after it Lots of grease, galley slops, fire hoses and new haircuts.......... All good fun.

The end result of mine in the pic
                    Attached Files

Comment

Been through 3 times... when you're the only British cadet onboard and the only one not to have crossed the line... no-one cares.. man I hated that crew...

Comment

@martyboy - when are you going to up date your deck cadet status to CoC:OOW?

Comment

I've crossed the Greenwich Meridian about a gazillion times but not even been close to the equator!

Comment

When I get my written exam results back Chris :P

Comment

Did you do July? Colleges have the results. Tense is not the word!
                              sigpic
                              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Working...
                              X