Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jreston90
    replied
    ive came to the solution that i will take skipping ropes and 1kg weights for doing easy aerobic exercises to keep up tone/cardio, no point in becoming a body builder when your away. even a set of boxing gloves and pads is a more enjoyable way than lifing weights, use the time to turn yourself into a fighting machine. just incase.

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    Most the machinery space can be under the waterline still, the whole point is, it is the area directly on the waterline that effects stability, not the area used above or below it. Good photos of how much space there is in a smaller swath craft's pod, bear in mind it is long and thin the pod, in this case a super yacht...

http://www.yachtsilvercloud.com/SSC/construction.htm

If they wanted more power for the same space used, something like the incats Ruston 20RK270 would produce a lot of power for size. 7080kW per engine in fact.

The real problem is not enough creative companies wanting to trial some new design ship, most companies just want to make profit using a tried and tested system, such as the incats now are.

2 stroke swath? Now thats a new scale of ideas, maybe even nuclear powered aircraft carrier swath? I do wonder how much research has been done into it, and been kept secret, much like the future NASA space shuttles.

And yes this is very off topic hehe, should probably be moved to another thread! Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    I like the look of them...but as for cargo ships rememeber a box boat is just a big empty patch of water surrounded by steel with (now a days) just 1 engine, 1 rudder etc all on the ceter line. Big slow speed deisels are still more efficient / practicle for this application (latest B&W ME series max rpm=79) BUT for cruise and ferry I can see makes perfect sense, already use multi engined diesel electric / geared drive chains so no real issue.

As already mentioned though all that "stuff" we keep below the waterline needs to be found a new home

/me just realised we are way off topic from "staying fit at sea"!
    Last edited by Chiefy; 2 August 2011, 12:15 AM. Reason: add more spelling mistakes

Leave a comment:

• bryan_s
    replied
    Not to mention that they are awful to look at...

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied
    I can see the advantages of multi-hull designs, but significant design work would be needed to make them viable for cargo carrying or as large passenger ships. They're very well suited as ferries and I believe both Incat and Austal have constructed ships for the military, but where would the cargo go? Or, in the case of cruise ships, where would all the usual below-the-waterline accommodation go?

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    Weights obviously an issue, although in theory you could still design one, would be good for a engineering cadets dissertation/final project, cough cough, but I am still shocked at how little the military use tried and proven catamarans, and now they have swath which is even better, I think it has something to do with relunctant to send the work overseas for building ships, as the best cats come from Incat in Australia, and probably couldn't be built in the UK in the Royal Navys case. There is already one cruise ship of swath type, a few ferries, some top end research vessels, and some coast guard vessels though.

MV Asia Star is a cruise ship run by Asia Cruises. It has a unique twin-hull/SWATH design and its gross tonnage is 20,050 tonnes. It is stationed in Hong Kong. It was formerly known as the Radisson Diamond, and built in Finland It has 12 decks and 170 guest rooms, displacing over 11,500 tons when fully loaded.

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    cant see 11000teu twin hull canoes taking off though

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    Ah I can understand that. And yes I know what your trying to say about the propeller, working in a static water area, rather then being caught in the flow and unusual currents bouncing down the side/bottom of the hull. The only thing of course is closer the prop is to the surface, more chance of cavitation and also in the case of my vessel where we have anti-cavitation propellers as it has a shallow bottom, they'd end up coming up out of the water more and also i do wonder in worse weather if it would stress the hull structure more.

Very true about tank suctions, but my ship rolls so much you can never completely empty the tanks normally until you are just coming into port anyway.

I think in a lot of applications if they just used swath hull design more everyone would be happy, finacially and comfort! There is a very good program by the discovery channel floating about somewhere on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small-w...area_twin_hull

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    As far as I can tell it runs roughly along the lines of....
    At static even keel when you set off the bow automatically dips (we are talking bulbous bows here) therfore you are using energy / fuel to drive the nose down, if you trim by 1-2mtr by the head then there is NO SIGNIFICANT increase in this trim at "cruising speed" therfore you arent using engine power and therfore fuel puching the nose down.

Also the prop can work in better water as the hull kind of casts a shadow (if you get my meaning)

And they spent quite a bit of time and effort on the testing, with all thier "class" hulls ie ones where there is a goodly few of them in a run and even they admit it is counter intuative....but the numbers dont lie now we just need to redesign the ships so that all the bunker tanks have forward AND aft suctions ditto cargo holds bilge locations.

the real saving is of course on a long run, hopping around europe or chinese coast dosnt show up put trans-pac or Sing__>Suez then it's worth it....lets face it even a 1% saving per day is $$$$ especially when you multiply it by number of boats etc etc......no wonder the bean counters need to lay down in a darkend room

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    You can always do excercise anywhere in the world, a good example and guide to this is "Charles Bronson's Solitary Fitness';
    http://joshpettitt.wordpress.com/201...regime-week-1/

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
    ROFL dont feel bad it was always assumed that trimming by the stern was better, more immersion of the prop and stuff.

However Big Blue Canoe Co Ltd ran a lot of test with various models of their common classes of vessels and found that running head down saves fuel at most speeds and dafts upto 5% saving for a 1-1.5mtr STATIC head trim bearing in mind most ships pull to head down at speeds above manoeuvring thus if you set off like that you aren't wasting that energy for a start and seemingly less immersion on the prop plays it's part too....It is counter intuative and this only applies when steaming, not for port calls, pilotages, canal transits etc on the grounds that running aground is BAD (apparently ;0 )
    I can't get my head around trimming to the head quite, do they have an unusual hull shape, or is it to do with bulbous bows, which theoreticaly save energy by reducing the bow wave, but rescent research shows is just moves the losses to somewhere else, and can create extra swirling currents down the side of the hull (kind of look like eddy currents ).

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied
    Access to the passenger gyms at all times, though if it's busy make yourself scarce for a while. There are crew gyms too, but these are usually quite small and just generally not as nice.

Usual cardio machines, resistance machines and some free weights.

Leave a comment:

• nphelps30
    replied
    Anyone out there with Carnival...what is the access like to Gyms on board and what equipment do they have?

Leave a comment:

• ETwhat?
    replied
    well i tend to hide on the top of the bridge deck, all the joy of the sun but none of the passengers and once the heat of the day goes will maybe do something,

Leave a comment:

• onara
    replied
    I'm moving my running to start ~9pm because of this weather. Those kids at the U-17 World Cup in Mexico must feel like they're on fire after a few runs up the pitch, not in a good way.

If you don't mind sweating (or people staring) a bit during the sunbathing, when you're doing your back you could do the plank at the same time. Two birds with one stone.

*edit* millions of tiny flying insects came out at dusk so I spent half the time trying to pick them off my eyeballs and blowing them out of my nose

Leave a comment:

• ETwhat?
    replied
    its 27'c in the gym atm so i think i might go work on the tan and leave working on the abs for another day

Leave a comment:

Working...
X