Staying Fit at Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onara View Post
    To the people who do some gym work while at sea, is it usually difficult to time it so you're getting the right kinds of food to refuel shortly afterwards? And what can you do if you think you need more calories than other officers?
    Count yourself lucky if the food is hot and edible; what's the 'right' kind of food? If you need more there are generally supplies of bread, cheese and meat in the fridge, and if you're lucky fruit. On our standby boat there's usually leftovers and cooky makes up trays of salad to go with the cold meat, also muck like cup-a-soups and pot noodles if you like that kind of thing. If you're deepsea you'll be able to buy large quantities of fizzy pop(and wobbly pop!), crisps and sweets from the bond locker. In short there's no danger of starving, just type 2 diabetes.
    '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
    just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
    down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
    new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by Brimbo View Post
      if you use the cycling machine on your gym, face it towards the bow, since ships trim by a few degrees, your technically peddling on a slight gradient
      Though recent studies have found that best fuel efficiency is at it's highest when the vessel is trimmed by the head (I know it's counter intuitive but I have the figures to prove it) SOOOOOOOOOOOOO....... you need to turn the bike round to face aft to get the full effect of the incline

Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        Though recent studies have found that best fuel efficiency is at it's highest when the vessel is trimmed by the head (I know it's counter intuitive but I have the figures to prove it) SOOOOOOOOOOOOO....... you need to turn the bike round to face aft to get the full effect of the incline

Ohh I just got 'Chiefed'! Putting into plan you have X amount of years at sea and i have a few months, Blame the college teaching me ships trim by the fwd
        Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

ROFL dont feel bad it was always assumed that trimming by the stern was better, more immersion of the prop and stuff.

However Big Blue Canoe Co Ltd ran a lot of test with various models of their common classes of vessels and found that running head down saves fuel at most speeds and dafts upto 5% saving for a 1-1.5mtr STATIC head trim bearing in mind most ships pull to head down at speeds above manoeuvring thus if you set off like that you aren't wasting that energy for a start and seemingly less immersion on the prop plays it's part too....It is counter intuative and this only applies when steaming, not for port calls, pilotages, canal transits etc on the grounds that running aground is BAD (apparently ;0 )
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

The effect of the incline.. just the feeling that you're sitting on an incline, but no change in resistance, hehe.

What's the right kind of food.. Uh, I don't know how to make a short answer to that. I'll tell you some ideas about food that I picked up from reading things. Sorry if it sounds patronising in places and sorry if it's not totally correct

Protein is needed for muscle repair/maintenance and our body can't store protein (unless you count muscle as a store). If your muscles are sore from exercise then you don't want to be having soup for lunch, you want protein from something like meat.

What kind of meat, I don't mind too much. Even fairly fatty meat is ok, and actually helps men produce testosterone (which promotes muscle development). A meal with fatty meat will make a meal slower to digest, not good if you're planning a workout a bit later or if you've just done a weight session and want to digest some protein & carbohydrates quick.

Healthy fats are important for your joints and brain. I take omega supplements when I'm not eating much fish. I often cook with olive oil as well. Apparently it makes a noticeable difference in concentration. Most very old people who're still coherent and able to move well, probably have healthy fats to thank for that.. they're probably the ones who swore by taking cod liver oil.

Vegetables and salad are good for digestion, vitamins and preventing disease. Being low on vitamins and exercising are two things that make you more likely to catch a cold or some other illness. Fatty food takes a lot of the blame for health problems but part of the problem might be that the same people who get too much saturated fat, are not eating much veg.

Fruit is good for getting some energy quicker. After running I always eat some fruit. Recovery wouldn't really start until I get some energy in me. For endurance training you want to keep your glycogen stores up for recovery and ready for the next session, so getting carbohydrates from pasta/rice/potato is important.

When you wake up in the morning, your body is kind of starving, so for that it'd be best to have some protein and some quick release carbs, if you stay starving then your body tries to store fat and uses up your muscle for energy. Slow release carbs would be good as well to keep your energy levels up throughout the morning. If you ever only have the quick release carbs (sugar) then your energy levels peak quickly and then can drop down too low.

Before bed, eating a lot of carbs is bad, digesting carbs at 2am while sleeping isn't good for your quality of sleep. Towards the end of the day less carbs are needed, because you won't be using much energy as you're slowing down ready for bed. So people who don't exercise, probably don't need much pasta/rice/potato with their evening meal and would probably gain fat from this.. excess energy which isn't used up gets stored as fat. People who want to cut fat and aren't doing endurance training can try having evening meals without pasta/rice/potato and just have meat (or another protein source) with vegetables. Fibre (such as from veg or pasta/bread/potato) combined with protein is the best way to stay feeling full. For muscle recovery, or even just maintenance if you're a bodybuilder, it's good to get some protein before sleeping. Milk or cheese is good because they're very slow digesting.

Comment

Originally posted by onara View Post
              What's the right kind of food.. Uh, I don't know how to make a short answer to that.
              Generally you want to eat carbs for energy before exercise (not to soon before or you'll be sick) and protein afterwards to help you recover and build those guns. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                Generally you want to eat carbs for energy before exercise (not to soon before or you'll be sick) and protein afterwards to help you recover and build those guns. :P
                If it's running then I never eat anything during the hour before the run. I think eating some jelly babies or jeally beans (1hr before) became a big trend for runners after some athlete said he/she does that. Whereas for weight sessions, while you dont want to be digesting a lot of food during, I think it's best not to start off the session feeling a bit hungry. So some fruit 20min before a weight session is probably good if you're starting to feel hungry. I think some bodybuilders say their pre-workout meal is even as important as the post-workout meal. Carbs afterwards is also quite important to help your muscles start recovering, if your weights session lasted 30min+, not only protein.

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...cientists.html

Comment

Mars Refuel is nice, very sweet.. I like to buy that when it's on offer. I'd drink that after something like running, football or circuit training.

Milkshakes wouldn't be the best recovery drink if you'd just done a heavy weights session lasting more than 30min, because dairy protein is slow to digest.

I don't really trust Daily Mail articles but I have read something about chocolate milkshakes in Mens Health magazine.

Comment

its 27'c in the gym atm so i think i might go work on the tan and leave working on the abs for another day
                      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

I'm moving my running to start ~9pm because of this weather. Those kids at the U-17 World Cup in Mexico must feel like they're on fire after a few runs up the pitch, not in a good way.

If you don't mind sweating (or people staring) a bit during the sunbathing, when you're doing your back you could do the plank at the same time. Two birds with one stone.

*edit* millions of tiny flying insects came out at dusk so I spent half the time trying to pick them off my eyeballs and blowing them out of my nose

Comment

well i tend to hide on the top of the bridge deck, all the joy of the sun but none of the passengers and once the heat of the day goes will maybe do something,
                          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Anyone out there with Carnival...what is the access like to Gyms on board and what equipment do they have?

Comment

Access to the passenger gyms at all times, though if it's busy make yourself scarce for a while. There are crew gyms too, but these are usually quite small and just generally not as nice.

Usual cardio machines, resistance machines and some free weights.
                              sigpic
                              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

You can always do excercise anywhere in the world, a good example and guide to this is "Charles Bronson's Solitary Fitness';
                                http://joshpettitt.wordpress.com/201...regime-week-1/

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                                ROFL dont feel bad it was always assumed that trimming by the stern was better, more immersion of the prop and stuff.

However Big Blue Canoe Co Ltd ran a lot of test with various models of their common classes of vessels and found that running head down saves fuel at most speeds and dafts upto 5% saving for a 1-1.5mtr STATIC head trim bearing in mind most ships pull to head down at speeds above manoeuvring thus if you set off like that you aren't wasting that energy for a start and seemingly less immersion on the prop plays it's part too....It is counter intuative and this only applies when steaming, not for port calls, pilotages, canal transits etc on the grounds that running aground is BAD (apparently ;0 )
                                I can't get my head around trimming to the head quite, do they have an unusual hull shape, or is it to do with bulbous bows, which theoreticaly save energy by reducing the bow wave, but rescent research shows is just moves the losses to somewhere else, and can create extra swirling currents down the side of the hull (kind of look like eddy currents ).

Comment

Working...
                                X