Engineering maths help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering maths help

Hi can anyone whos already done phase 1 or completed there cadetship advise me on what the maths is going to be like? Read that the pass mark is 100% is this true? If so I may aswel stay at home as I will be well and truely buggered!

thanks

Well pass mark at south shields is 40% but best to aim higher of course.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Slicvicx I'm sure most of us feel we are in the same boat, please excuse the pun. From my experience in my past qualifications, maths related to engineering was easier for me to grasp than the stuff for my GCSE's. If you have an interest in learning it, it will be much easier to take in.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
        Well pass mark at south shields is 40% but best to aim higher of course.
        Seriously!? Fecking hell!

I thought GCNS was lax with 60% pass mark!
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

For engineers at STC it's 50%.
          lead,follow or get out of the way

Comment

40 50 Still pretty low isnt it
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

It explains why nobody dropped out my course

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                It explains why nobody dropped out my course
                Folks didn't drop out of mine due to a failure in academics neither. They were generally given the boot for: -

A) Not showing up to college
                B) Drugs
                C) Resigned because it wasn't for them
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

That explains why many cadets are unable to work out a sounding of 93cm with a trim of 0.2m by the head!

@OP, the maths is not (or at least shouldnn't be simple, but if you managed a C in GCSE maths then the college should build you up slowly to the level you need to be at, it might take some extra work on your part, but nothing worth having comes easy.
                  Go out, do stuff

Comment

Thanks guys....my maths in school wasn't great but I have just done an HNC and had maths for engineering 1 I'm sure it was.

It was more the 100% pass mark that threw me lol.

Comment

I hadn?t done maths for about 5 years before starting and only got a C at GCSE. I?ve just had my phase 1 results back and I have one of the highest marks in the class so I wouldn?t worry about the maths. Just put in the extra work and the college will do the rest.

Pass mark at Fleetwood is 40%, but thats because Lancaster Uni set the pass mark at that. If the college could credit the FD themselves I?m sure the pass mark would be much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by jf13th View Post
                        I hadn?t done maths for about 5 years before starting and only got a C at GCSE. I?ve just had my phase 1 results back and I have one of the highest marks in the class so I wouldn?t worry about the maths. Just put in the extra work and the college will do the rest.

Pass mark at Fleetwood is 40%, but thats because Lancaster Uni set the pass mark at that. If the college could credit the FD themselves I?m sure the pass mark would be much higher.
                        Thanks that puts my mind to ease as it was fleetwoods I was looking at and may be going too!

Comment

Working...
                        X