Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loans

Hi there, I was curious to know if cadets are entitle to student loans?

It depends on which course you're on and to be 100% sure you should ask your college. As a general rule, on the FD you are eligible, and on the HNC/D you are eligible from phase three onwards as the first phase is a further education course.

Moved to College and Sea phases.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I was also curious about this topic - I know the cadet wage isn't high but is enough to get by on. I was considering taking out a student overdraft or a new credit card with interest free. Does anyone know if you are eligible for learning grants on FD route?
      www.gypoinfo.org

Comment

Originally posted by JoelR
        I was also curious about this topic - I know the cadet wage isn't high but is enough to get by on?[...]

excellent question!!!

I've heard people mention amounts from as low as ?150/month to as high as €900/month that don't help shed any light on the matter AT ALL!!!
        Do or don't, there is no try...

Comment

Not sure where you got ?150 per month from. Lowest is in the region of ?500 per month as far as I'm aware.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I found that because I'm still on my first phase doing the Level 3 Dip - Engineering in Shipping and Maritime Operations. We wasn't entitled to anything. I had to apply for a hardship fund that the college had set aside. It was only about ?200 but it helped a lot.
            As CharlieDelta said you'll get better funding as soon as you get on the HNC/HND in your phase 3. Thanks to the Welsh Government they are giving me ?7,000. Happy days. CMT pay ?175 a week while at college and ?120 whilst at sea.
            Apply before you go on your sea phase so it will get done and dusted before the mad rush to do it in December.

Comment

Working...
            X