Dissertation Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissertation Help

My original plan was along the lines of - Does training improve the effectiveness of fire drills?

However, considering that I will need other crew members to participate with training during their free time I am starting to doubt my subject.

So I need some help. It is not a full dissertation, however it does need to have the same principles:

- A 'problem' should be identified
    - Research must be conducted
    - Results must be produced

I am aiming for something that requires as little disruption from the crew as possible - probably surveys.
    Something that does not evaluate the performance of other crew members - as much as I wanted to quiz everyone on the colregs, I doubt they would be pleased.

Apologies for the scruffy statement.

I look forward to hearing some of your ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Just noticed you've been a member for three years by the way - congratulations!

Is there nothing that you've noticed in your time at sea that's made you question working practices/procedures? Anything that's left you wondering "why the hell do we do that/do it like that"? Or where you've felt there's an obvious "more efficient way" of doing things?

Lots of people do something based on ECDIS. I suppose it's topical but if you were to go down that road it would probably be a good idea to have an interesting angle.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
      Just noticed you've been a member for three years by the way - congratulations!

Is there nothing that you've noticed in your time at sea that's made you question working practices/procedures? Anything that's left you wondering "why the hell do we do that/do it like that"? Or where you've felt there's an obvious "more efficient way" of doing things?

Lots of people do something based on ECDIS. I suppose it's topical but if you were to go down that road it would probably be a good idea to have an interesting angle.
      Haha, thank you! I have been checking the site almost every day for three years!

Yes, there are a few things - like the knowledge of collision regulations from other officers - but I can't do that. Apart from that, everything was next to perfect.

I did wonder about bringing in checklists. Do people follow them as much as they should? In using them does this increase confidence and safety? Do they increase effectiveness and efficiency? But again, this ends up involving the evaluation of other crew members. I could do this myself, but the data collected would be limiting.

Something linked in with the TRB was another aim, each in there involves some sort of communication with a crew member.

I suppose I may be able to identify a problem once on my next vessel, but again if there is a problem and I want to provide a solution, senior officers will not be happy about a cadet advising them.

Do you feel that there are some procedures to be improved upon?

Yes, too many people are doing ECDIS. I think if I choose that my tutor will end up spitting feathers.
      "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
      "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Working...
      X