Interesting ways to learn COLREGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting ways to learn COLREGs

Umpteenth day painting, got me thinking is there an interactive/multiple choice game/learning aid available for the COLREG's, or any part of the COLREG's (particularly lights, which I am OK on, but don't necessarily give ALL the possible information). I was thinking it would be an interesting way of learning what each rule was by number and the contents therein. Was just an idea, I'm currently using cards for bouyage, flags and lights and a book called the Fully Illustrated Textbook: The COLREGs Guide (which is a far more interesting read than the applied learning book).

Just looking for suggestions/interesting methods of learning the COLREG's (finding the Mnemonics thread interesting, my Bridgewatch lecturer Murdo was keen on them, shame he's left CoGC).

As far as I am concerned, Mnemonics are the way of remembering them.

After sitting my mock orals, I was told I forgot one part of rule 6 - weather, to which I replied "Ah yes, of course, Willies!" - (the Mnemonic for rule 6 which I am sure you know). But this method got me a very decent 92%.

Link everything with events too. When I was at School there was a girl called Samantha who had size 10 feet! When I was on the bridge of my first vessel, I was discussing her with my chief mate whilst looking on the radar (which was SAM electronics), then he asked me - "What is the wave length of the S - band radar?"

I know remember S band is 10 cm because of size 10 Samantha.

Learning them with someone else is even better. Getting them to quiz you on that one you always get wrong - it is great.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

www.collisionregs.com perhaps, never tried it, as I never felt the need to. It might be an option for some.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
        www.collisionregs.com perhaps, never tried it, as I never felt the need to. It might be an option for some.
        Funnily enough, I set up a Facebook group for my classmates before we left for sea and one of them was telling me he'd downloaded something like this from iTunes. I suggested it could be an interesting means of subliminal learning. Not sure my partner would appreciate it as bedtime listening mind...

Would be useful for the earlier parts of the rules, not so useful for the lights and shapes (really, you need visual representations for them as I imagine when the orals role around you won't be asked to recite Rule 24 verbatim).

I already have mnemonics in my little revision flip book for lights and rule 6. Learning by association has never been a strong point, I remember way back to my History A-Levels remembering something by association only to forget the thing I was associating with was.

Comment

There's a PC application called RulesMaster Pro which I find pretty useful

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
            There's a PC application called RulesMaster Pro which I find pretty useful
            Does anyone else have experience with RulesMaster Pro?

Just starting phase 1 and considering it

Comment

Firstly - blatant plug from me - but consider COLREG Tutor which is available for Mac or pc and can be purchased from my site http://colreg.alistairbaillie.co.uk details on the site.
              “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Mnemonics and games are good but nothing will ever beat study groups!

By the time your orals come around, your mates have put you in such ridiculous situations, there'll be very few scenarios the examiner can use that will actually surprise you! Certainly the case at OOW level anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                  Firstly - blatant plug from me - but consider COLREG Tutor which is available for Mac or pc and can be purchased from my site http://colreg.alistairbaillie.co.uk details on the site.
                  Absolute bargain at only £7.99, thank you

Comment

Sorry stupid question, do ETOs need to know anything about college?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevio123 View Post
                      Sorry stupid question, do ETOs need to know anything about college?
                      Colregs? Nope. College? Erm yep.

Comment

Originally posted by 750XL View Post
                        Does anyone else have experience with RulesMaster Pro?

Just starting phase 1 and considering it
                        Good Day

I have used Rules Master Pro when I first started and found it great,especially the quizzes. I still use it now to keep fresh. I must say though the organization that I work for has a license with them so I don't pay for it. If you have any questions about it let me know I'd be glad to answer.

The book the Seaman's Guide to the Rules of the Road is fantastic in my opinion, I believe the latest version is Jan 2016.

Also The companion book A Guide to the Collision Avoidance is another great resource.

http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/Irpcs/: This website provides tests if you are looking for memorization of the rules.
                        Deck Cadet
                        Canada

All remarks and opinions are those solely of myself and do not represent those of any Organization.

Comment

Hi,

If you want to try the maneuver of Rule 19 (restricted visibility) you can use a FREE radar simulator at www.shipradarsimulator.com

Greetings !
                          Capt. Marcelo Covelli
                          https://www.shipradarsimulator.com

Comment

Originally posted by ramfeild66 View Post
                            Umpteenth day painting, got me thinking is there an interactive/multiple choice game/learning aid available for the COLREG's, or any part of the COLREG's (particularly lights, which I am OK on, but don't necessarily give ALL the possible information). I was thinking it would be an interesting way of learning what each rule was by number and the contents therein. Was just an idea, I'm currently using cards for bouyage, flags and lights and a book called the Fully Illustrated Textbook: The COLREGs Guide (which is a far more interesting read than the applied learning book).

Just looking for suggestions/interesting methods of learning the COLREG's (finding the Mnemonics thread interesting, my Bridgewatch lecturer Murdo was keen on them, shame he's left CoGC).
                            While I was studying for my exams I found this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonwalking.../dp/0141032138. Although it's nothing to do with COLREGS I found the memory techniques really useful for remembering the rules.

I also found the flip cards useful, but lights didn't really click for me until I decided to draw out my own revision guide. This forced me to get into the detail and prepare for more complex questions.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X