Student Loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loan?

As cadets, are we entitled to student loans? I'll be starting phase 3 in September and have a car etc to pay for, as well as halls of residence. A loan would really help, but I wasn't sure if we'd be entitled to them considering that we're paid students. If we are entitled, is it limited due to the fact that we're paid?

A heads up would be great just before I attempt applying.

I believe you are, as your payments are considered Sponsorship payments. Although I would be quick about sorting the loan out as we were told to get the forms sent in by about April by the college.

Comment

Yes you can apply. You can apply for the loan at any point during your phase.

Comment

I was told by a shipping company that you can only apply for a student loan in your third phase...
        Saltydog

Comment

Myself and others have taken out student loans in phase 1 and 3, we are PD cadets, maybe different for other routes.

Comment

Originally posted by saltydog View Post
            I was told by a shipping company that you can only apply for a student loan in your third phase...
            I think that's for the HNC/D route

Comment

FD cadets can get student loans from day one, HND students must wait until phase 3.
              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Thanks for clarifying
                Saltydog

Comment

What would be the case for those who hold a degree before cadetship?
                  Is it a case of loan or grant only? I remember reading something about funding for second degrees...

Comment

Originally posted by Markie93 View Post
                    I believe you are, as your payments are considered Sponsorship payments. Although I would be quick about sorting the loan out as we were told to get the forms sent in by about April by the college.
                    According to the Student Finance England website the applications aren't available until later this year. I'm assuming they'll be available soon for September. Another problem is that it asks for the course title/code, which I won't know until September.

Comment

Applications for 2013-2014 should be open - check the years are right!

Don't worry if you don't know the exact code, just look for your college/course in their menu and pick the closest thing.
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                        Applications for 2013-2014 should be open - check the years are right!

Don't worry if you don't know the exact code, just look for your college/course in their menu and pick the closest thing.
                        That's what I was going to do, but if I get it wrong won't it **** the whole thing up? Might be better off giving them a call I think.

Comment

Not necessarily. The application isn't for a specific course - lots of students apply way before they know that they've got a definite place on a certain course at a certain university. The actual course details are confirmed once the college confirm your attendance with SFE.

Definitely call if you're concerned though, their phone service has improved dramatically over the last few years.
                          sigpic
                          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Yesterday applications weren't showing as available on my SFE profile, today they are! Done the application and without taking parents income into account, I'm apparently entitled to just over ?3500 in maintenance. However on one of the last pages of the application it just keeps showing error. Balls.

"Unfortunately there has been a problem with your application, please use the 'Continue' button to return to your previous page to check the data that you have entered and try again. If this problem persists then please log out and try again later."

Comment

Working...
                            X