Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have the compass error program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have the compass error program?

Used to have a program for doing the compass error, but seem to have lost it.

Could do it the nautical almanac method, but why do things the hard way when there is an easy way.

So has anyone got the program/spreadsheet for doing it? Would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by internationalapple View Post
    Used to have a program for doing the compass error, but seem to have lost it.

Could do it the nautical almanac method, but why do things the hard way when there is an easy way.

So has anyone got the program/spreadsheet for doing it? Would be much appreciated.
    I think the Nautical Almanac is the easy way after time. I managed to get my errors done in less than 5 minutes. Is it really worth going on a computer to do it?
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Yeah, cos with NavPac it just takes a few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22 View Post
        I think the Nautical Almanac is the easy way after time. I managed to get my errors done in less than 5 minutes. Is it really worth going on a computer to do it?
        No it is not the easiest way.

The easiest way is to fire the numbers into a program and up pops the answer, far less time consuming, and for those of us that have far more important things to worry about that waste our time flicking through almanacs and doing corrections manually it's much more convenient.

So does anyone have a program? What's this NavPac?

Comment

<snip> Found a few nice apps in the android app store that all you have to do in type in lat, long and time and it gives you the azimuth for all major celestial bodies. Some of the apps even take ur position and time automatically from the phones GPS so it tells you the azimuth automatically. Now that is efficiency.
          Last edited by CharlieDelta; 13 April 2013, 09:33 AM. Reason: Civility, please.

Comment

can these apps be trusted?

Comment

Can you tell us the name of these apps?

Comment

There are a lot of apps around, but to be honest, I still reckon I could it do it quicker with a scientific calculator and the nautical almanac. Probably takes around 45 seconds, (well on a regularly used almanac with the daily pages marked).
                What ship type are you on?

Comment

Originally posted by squidadle View Post
                  Can you tell us the name of these apps?
                  StarStruck Navigation

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                    There are a lot of apps around, but to be honest, I still reckon I could it do it quicker with a scientific calculator and the nautical almanac. Probably takes around 45 seconds, (well on a regularly used almanac with the daily pages marked).
                    What ship type are you on?
                    Maybe you can do it that way quicker. You must be super human to be able to do it quicker, whats your secret?

Using a scientific calculator is also cheating, you must do it with an Abacus, because scientific calculators can fail. A rounded deck officer should be able to do compass errors without any technological assistance at all, this includes without using a pen or pencil, because they can fail as well. Everything should be done mentally... But then theres the risk of mental failure. I hope eventually they remove calculators from all examinations in the cadet ship program, because on board a ship you might not have calculators.

My ship type is a construction vessel, where we are actually kept busy on our watches. Not like on open sea ships where the only thing done in a watch is a compass error.

Comment

So what's the point in doing a compass error, get the ship swung annually, meets the SOLAS requirement.

As for the secret, that's just about being a competent Officer and having 11 years practice. I'm not saying the apps and software are bad, but I found navpac just a hassle.

Aren't most construction vessels doubled up watches?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                        So what's the point in doing a compass error, get the ship swung annually, meets the SOLAS requirement.

As for the secret, that's just about being a competent Officer and having 11 years practice. I'm not saying the apps and software are bad, but I found navpac just a hassle.

Aren't most construction vessels doubled up watches?
                        I'm talking about gyro compasses.

Yes.

Comment

But seriously. What's the quality control on these apps anyone can put an app in the app store.

Comment

<Mod Hat>

I've done some snipping on this thread. Please try to keep things civil.

Specifically, when you ask a question and don't get an answer straight away, there's no need for "thanks for not helping". Just none whatsoever. This is a forum, not a professional question answering service.

</Mod Hat>

I don't really subscribe to the "you must do your compass errors manually" school of thought. If you can stick some numbers into NavPac and get the same thing done in a matter of seconds, then what's the point in doing it manually? Same with sight reduction. Yes, the syllabus requires you to be able to do these things manually, and goodness knows I have enough manual compass errors and sight reductions in my nav workbook to prove it. NavPac, in particular, is reasonably inexpensive, is made by the same people as the paper almanac and can be bought through your chart agent. It's not the fanciest bit of kit but it works!
                            sigpic
                            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by internationalapple View Post
                              Using a scientific calculator is also cheating, you must do it with an Abacus, because scientific calculators can fail.
                              I appreciate you're trying to be flippant, but if you're worried about your calculator failing you could always use Norrie's Tables.

Comment

Working...
                              X