limitation of ais, radar and ecdis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limitation of ais, radar and ecdis

Anyone know the limitation for AIS, RADAR, ECDIS.?????????????????????????

Yes. do you?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
      Yes. do you?
      This is exact reason why cadets don't ask questions here or users aren't as active. Why ask questions to just get ridiculed.

Comment

if u know then pls .. tell me or just send me the links for that thanxx

Comment

Originally posted by DaveThePlumber View Post
          This is exact reason why cadets don't ask questions here or users aren't as active. Why ask questions to just get ridiculed.
          Thing is his profile says he is an OOW, and he is asking an incredibly basic question that is taught at various levels throughout the course.

So either he is lying about being an OOW or managed to scrape through the exam without learning the basics.

Either way the information is widely available so the vagueness of his question implies that he has not even tried to do the basic research himself, if his question related to one of the finer points he didn't understand that would be fair enough but this just looks like a badly copied question from a piece of collage work.

Comment

Singh, I have to be honest, the limtations of AIS, ECDIS and Radar are extensive and would require a book. There is no brief way to explain the limitations, and on the modern bridge it is necessary to have a full understanding of them. The STCW ECDIS and NaRAS course go someway to explaining, but I feel there are still major gaps in the knowledge that can only be fulfilled by reading dedicated books to the subject. Understanding the limitations makes you a safer and better Deck Officer, as you will have an awarness of how far to trust, and how easy it is to interpret the data.
            I would love to give you a simple answer, but with such a broad question, it would take me weeks to write a reasonable answer.

Comment

Singh doesn't possess a UK COC, he's from a country where you do all the academic stuff first, get your COC, then go to sea as a cadet. So whilst he might have a COC, he may not have the experience.
              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                Singh doesn't possess a UK COC, he's from a country where you do all the academic stuff first, get your COC, then go to sea as a cadet. So whilst he might have a COC, he may not have the experience.
                But this sort of thing should be included in the academic stuff, and it is on the OOW orals syllabus, so it is still quite worrying that he does not have any knowledge of it.

Comment

listen guys .1st of all if my name is diff it doesnt mean am from diff planet. 2nd am preparing for orals .i know all this stuff but just wnt to confirm wtever i studied is correct or not . coz one of ma frnd said if u ask any que in this site other marchant navy off will defo assist u but it seems totally diff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by singh View Post
                    listen guys .1st of all if my name is diff it doesnt mean am from diff planet. 2nd am preparing for orals .i know all this stuff but just wnt to confirm wtever i studied is correct or not . coz one of ma frnd said if u ask any que in this site other marchant navy off will defo assist u but it seems totally diff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Singh,

Asking questions like you have and using the English and text speak you have will not get people to help you. Everybody knows you are not from a different planet, they do realise you are an overseas student, but they will still only help those that help themselves!

Personally I think that if you had posted a short piece on here about "I think that these are all the limitations of AIS" and posted a list, then you will find people would add to your thread, put up more limitations, debate and argue the points with no problems at all. Your original post, and the last one will not get you the help you need- sorry but you need to put more work into this yourself.

So have a go, break it down into three different areas, post up all you know about the limitations of AIS and get people to help you, not do the work for you. Once you have done that then go back and start on Radar.

I hope this helps!

Ian
                    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

AIS is like all other broadcast devices and is sensitive to radio frequency interference. It is also subject to the limitations of VHF propagation. AIS relies on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) data for position and timing inputs, which are central to its functioning; as such, it is subject to the vulnerabilities inherent in satellite navigation systems. Mariners are cautioned that some vessels in their vicinity may not be fitted with AIS.

Comment

AIS

AIS is like all other broadcast devices and is sensitive to radio frequency interference. It is also subject to the limitations of VHF propagation. AIS relies on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) data for position and timing inputs, which are central to its functioning; as such, it is subject to the vulnerabilities inherent in satellite navigation systems. Mariners are cautioned that some vessels in their vicinity may not be fitted with AIS.

http://commissionersofirishlights.co...questions.aspx

Radar

Operational Limitations on Radar

A. Proficiency of operator: Skill and experience; manipulation of controls; training.

B. False echoes: Side lobes; multiple reflection echoes; blind zones; second trip echoes; phantom contacts.

C. Radar operation near land: Blind zone near shore; radar shadows; aircraft over land; ranging on land; use of radar in piloting.

D. Spotting of shell splashes.

See More: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...H-P-08-06.html

ECDIS

See following links:
                        http://www.ecdis.org/media/?p=334
                        http://safewaters.wordpress.com/2011...s-limitations/

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                          Yes. do you?
                          A stereotypical sarcastic troll response.

Comment

Updates from cd .could contain Virus, hard drive could get fail, ecdis is connected with gps,radar,air,compass if any system get malfunction from any of these then ecdis sensors will show different readings, charts symbols are different from paper charts , datum error,ecdis is not for worldwide,cannot fix position visually

correct me pls

Comment

Troll response... no I think the attitude was more like ?we?ve all had to do our homework so why don?t you do yours??, most people are happy to answer questions on ships or life at sea than answer what sounds like a homework assignment, I don?t think there was any mean intentions behind the responses...

Anyway back to the point:

Have you come across a book called ?Admiralty Guide to the Practical Use of ENCs?, lots of very good information about the advantages and disadvantages of electronic charts there.

Also ?Navigation Advanced for Mates and Masters? by Nadeem Anwar has some good basic info on the limitations of Navigation equipment- if you have in your college library or onboard ship.

Comment

Working...
                              X