calling home from sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling home from sea

Hi, I'm due to join my first ship in a few weeks and I'm just wondering what is the cheapest way to phone home from abroad. I'm going to be around South East Asia. I have been looking at global sim cards and I have heard people use phone cards but I'm not sure how to use them. Just need some advise what you guys have used.

I usually just buy a sim card off the stevedores when I get to port. There is usual one business minded one, just ask them when they come on board. I have a collection of about 20 sim cards now. If you get one with a load of data, then you can just skype home. Beats paying 70 pence a minute to use the ship's sat phone.
    Linkedin

Comment

As above. Make sure you get your phone unlocked before you go away and you will be able to buy SIM cards off the stevedores in every port. Unfortunately I forgot to get my phone unlocked and therefore was unable to do so because it was network locked to O2 UK. Not much use in the Far East!

Comment

I have a cheap unlocked Samsung Galaxy I bought for ?50, Androids have a great feature called 'WiFi Hotspot', so I just shove a SIM in, share the internet, and can go online with my laptop then through my phone.

Most Far East countries have a decent data package on a pay-as-you-go.
        Linkedin

Comment

Have a look on the web john most phones can be unlocked by entering a code.

Comment

You don't only need to use wifi, u can use usb cable for tethering btw almost all other older phones even non smatphones that have usb connectivity can be tethered, some require special applications like nokia phones via PC suite, other can be manualy set up via control panel dial-up setting (but u will have to get the network carriers settings) on windows. On linux like ubuntu there's a option for this type of connectivity that configs everything automatically . Well for video chats on skype you will probably need a 3g connection, but for regular call or IM edge is fine. Also if browsing on via edge (because alot of places dont have 3g) net install adblock, disable java scripts, img loading and some css options on the browser for fast browsing if you need to see img you can re enable it to load but on 40kb/s edge will take a while for most images
            Motorman

Comment

also look at ivita sim cards, you get a UK number and calls are cheap as chips, the Mission to Seaman also carry top up cards or you can top up on-line.

Additionally your company may have internet on board, which will help.
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

thanks guys. i have a sim free blackberry so it should work in most places and i plan on taking a spare phone too. i have been looking at that ivitta service and it looks good especially for texting which is what i do most anyway. we have email on board and i was going to skype from internet cafes where possible but it would still be nice to phone home too.

Comment

be aware the ivitta text service is limited to 140 characters (no idea why) but works well enough and is found in SIM services when you insert the SIM, but otherwise it's not too bad a service
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                    be aware the ivitta text service is limited to 140 characters (no idea why)
                    Because 140 characters is the maximum you can send in a single txt message :-)

Modern phones split long messages into multiple 140 character messages that most users don't notice since most of us don't pay for txt messages.

Dnt u rmbr the gd ol dys whr u hd 2 do ths 2 ft it n - nt bcse u wr a chv (Surprisingly difficult to do that on an iPhone)
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

ermmm no text limit is 160....twitter is 140

/gets his coat
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                        ermmm no text limit is 160....twitter is 140

/gets his coat
                        Commence computer science geek days :-)

Actually depends on encoding method - 8 bit encoding is 140 characters (8 bit being necessary to support European languages and symbols) when u look at Arabic/russian and other such languages the character limit is 70 due to need to use 16 bit encoding :-)

160 would require 7 bit encoding which would loose support for all but very basic symbols and those little annoying fancy letters Spanish and such use.

Twitter is 140 characters for same reason - it used to be soley trxt measage based and most US networks utilised 8 bit so their users could use lovely symbols like & or $ hence why it has that limit :-) or tweets would of been cut off when being sent

(Symbols not entirely true & and $ are possible with 7 bit encoding but it demonstrates the point that full range isn't available and I can't remember which ones offhand)

Anyway computer science lecture over - carry on
                        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
                        X