Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other Chiltern Maritime Cadets out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other Chiltern Maritime Cadets out there?

I started my Deck Cadetship with Chiltern Sept 2012, Studying at LJMU with only 1 other British Cadet (Conway) , the rest are Sponsored by Aramco. Are there any other cadets out there ( fleetwood/ Warsash) that no the types of ships they'll be going on? Finding the course ok? Heard Anything in getting sea going uniforms?. I'm an FD Student and heard il be sharing a cabin with another girl but don't go to sea till The beginning of April.

Any info from other Chiltern cadets will be great.

Thanks Charlie.

Originally posted by Charlieramsden View Post
    I started my Deck Cadetship with Chiltern Sept 2012, Studying at LJMU with only 1 other British Cadet (Conway) , the rest are Sponsored by Aramco. Are there any other cadets out there ( fleetwood/ Warsash) that no the types of ships they'll be going on? Finding the course ok? Heard Anything in getting sea going uniforms?. I'm an FD Student and heard il be sharing a cabin with another girl but don't go to sea till The beginning of April.

Any info from other Chiltern cadets will be great.

Thanks Charlie.
    *narrating* "As the Charlieramsden nervously enters the forum, the Grammar Nazi's are instantly attracted. They stalk her quietly, remaining hidden in the long grass. They are able to follow her as they can smell her inability to spell and can near enough taste her inability to use proper punctuation..."
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Should have seen that coming really! I do apologise, the thread was only a quick message written from my phone.

Comment

Dont worry about GM he's on day release from the internet and due his meds soon ;-)

Now for your questions, I dont know about sharing a cabin, al I can say is if they are like my company (Blue hulls, white star) then a shared cabin, is seperate sleeping space, divided by a Bulkhead (wall) that is open at on end with no doors, then a shared bathroom, and shared wardrobe type space (think entrance lobby) and thats it.

Chiltern used to be the main recruiter for BP but I have no idea if that is the same any more (what with being old and all)

Sure there will be some more of you lot around at some point ;-)

As for GM just lob some red meat his way every now and again....like the book he is "mostly harmless"
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Hi Charlie! I was a Chiltern cadet, sponsored by Trinity House. There's a strong chance you'll get a lot of cruise ship trips, (I was put on the QM2, MSY Windsurf and a Fred Olsen cruise ship too) I also did trips on a buoy tender, a ro-pax ferry and a cargo ship. On the cruise ships I shared with another girl, and on the other trips I had my own cabin, cabin sizes vary greatly!

Do you have to wear uniform at LJMU? Seagoing uniform isn't really any different to college uniform, unless you get put on a cruise ship, in which case they should provide you with uniform on board. As soon as you hear from Chiltern which ship you're going on, ask them lots of questions! (and if they don't know come and ask us!)

Oh and your original post was not the worst example of SPAG fail we've seen here, by a long way!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Hi Charlie

As another ex Chiltern / Trinity House Cadet I can echo everything that Size4 has said above and say that you will have a wonderful exposure to a host of different ships - any questions just ask!
            Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Originally posted by Charlieramsden View Post
              Should have seen that coming really! I do apologise, the thread was only a quick message written from my phone.
              It's ok! I actually don't really care, but after the mauling the last person received for their bad spelling I just thought it would be good to have some narration on the hunt this time...

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
              Dont worry about GM he's on day release from the internet and due his meds soon ;-)

Now for your questions, I dont know about sharing a cabin, al I can say is if they are like my company (Blue hulls, white star) then a shared cabin, is seperate sleeping space, divided by a Bulkhead (wall) that is open at on end with no doors, then a shared bathroom, and shared wardrobe type space (think entrance lobby) and thats it.

Chiltern used to be the main recruiter for BP but I have no idea if that is the same any more (what with being old and all)

Sure there will be some more of you lot around at some point ;-)

As for GM just lob some red meat his way every now and again....like the book he is "mostly harmless"
              "Mostly" harmless?

Comment

Thank you for your replies!

Yes I heard a lot of cadets get cruise trips, so I'm expecting something similar. I do have to wear a uniform (white shirt, black trousers, black tie, and jumper) at University. It's not great as I am the only person wearing it in the whole Uni.

Iv heard a few horror stories recently about female cadets on cargo/container vessels which is slightly worrying. I'm not unfamiliar with being at sea as I was a comms rating in the Royal Navy then transferred to RFA as a rating (sailed with them for around 3 years) but starting to get weary about the stories, so sharing a cabin would be a bonus for me not a drawback, as its someone else in the same position.

Thanks again.
                Charlie

Comment

Im a current chiltern cadet. I heard that after an incident last year, female cadets are only being sent on cruise ships.

Im an eto cadet, but the chiltern deck cadets I know have been on a venezualan tanker, condor ferry, buoy tenders, windstar cruises and a fisheries research ship.

Pretty sure I spelt Venezualan wrong from my smart phone!
                  Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Incident? What incidents?

Comment

Incident - an alledged sexual assault or worse.

Probably better I dont provide any more detail than that.
                      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Yes I have been told about this, hence my worries. I have sailed on many ships as the only female but to be honest iv never had any sort of issue, these were all British crew.

Iv been told at the moment all female cadets are being placed with either another female cadet or on passenger vessels due to last years incident, whether this is throughout all companies or just Chiltern im not entirely sure.

Comment

What I'm now finding myself concerned about is the apparent covering up of a cadet being assaulted. Things like that SHOULD be talked about, so that people who think they can get away with it will realise that it is unacceptable, that they will be brought to book and that it is not a small matter. If which ever shipping company this happened with is trying to brush it under the carpet because they feel it reflects badly on them, they need to realise that by doing so they are making themselves look worse. If they said "This terrible thing happened on our ship, we have done this (preferably taking them to the authorities for the crime of assault and sacked them) to the person who did it, we have provided support and counselling to the victim, and we are making DAM sure that everyone in our company knows that it will NOT be tolerated (education program etc) then actually they'd end up looking pretty dam good. Will someone please DM me some details about this?

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
                          X