Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tanker sea time - as a cadet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tanker sea time - as a cadet

    Just wondering if anyone can help me? Ive heard that in order to stand a chance of getting employment on a tanker in the future its important you spend some time on one as a cadet. Due to us doing a 'Tanker familirisation' course that only becomes active once you have spent time actually on a tanker.

    Can anyone confirm this is true? And how much time do you actually need to spend on one? 3 months? 6 months? Also, if it is true, how long does it stay valid for? As in, if i did some sea time on a tanker as a cader, and then didnt get a job on a tanker for say 5 years, would it still be ok?

    Or is it all a load of rubbish?

    thanks

  • #2
    Urm, ok. Well, no...

    Your tanker fam course has to be done before joining a tanker. There is no "active" or "inactive" part of it, but you cannot serve on board a tanker of any kind without it.

    What you are referring to is probably the DCE, the Dangerous Chemical Endorsement. That has a sailing time requirement for it to be issued. All you do is sit and complete an industry or flag approved course (Either Oil, Chemical or Gas) and then do the seatime (I think it's 90 days, but may be wrong) and then you can have the DCE issued to you.

    When it comes to employment, for Junior Officers, most companies tend to prefer folks with some experience, but that doesn't mean we will automatically say no. We will take them with few problems, the problem starts when you reach 2nd Eng/Chief Mate level as then we have to consider the Officers Matrix for the Oil Majors. However, if you were to work on tankers as a 3/0, then feck off to Super Yachts for 5 years or so and then try to come back to Tankers you will find it a wee bit difficult to do and some companies will be reluctant to take you on.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

    All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
      What you are referring to is probably the DCE, the Dangerous Chemical Endorsement. That has a sailing time requirement for it to be issued. All you do is sit and complete an industry or flag approved course (Either Oil, Chemical or Gas) and then do the seatime (I think it's 90 days, but may be wrong) and then you can have the DCE issued to you.
      Dangerous Cargo Endorsement requires 6 months sea service on tankers in the last five years, and at least a proportion of that on the specific type (oil/gas/chemical). You must continue sailing on tankers (6 months in a 5 year period) to maintain validity of the DCE.

      Comment


      • #4
        Isn't it more complicated than that? Ie you can get endorsement with out the fam cours but needs more sea time?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
          Urm, ok. Well, no...

          Your tanker fam course has to be done before joining a tanker. There is no "active" or "inactive" part of it, but you cannot serve on board a tanker of any kind without it.

          What you are referring to is probably the DCE, the Dangerous Chemical Endorsement. That has a sailing time requirement for it to be issued. All you do is sit and complete an industry or flag approved course (Either Oil, Chemical or Gas) and then do the seatime (I think it's 90 days, but may be wrong) and then you can have the DCE issued to you.

          When it comes to employment, for Junior Officers, most companies tend to prefer folks with some experience, but that doesn't mean we will automatically say no. We will take them with few problems, the problem starts when you reach 2nd Eng/Chief Mate level as then we have to consider the Officers Matrix for the Oil Majors. However, if you were to work on tankers as a 3/0, then feck off to Super Yachts for 5 years or so and then try to come back to Tankers you will find it a wee bit difficult to do and some companies will be reluctant to take you on.
          So who actually needs a DCE? Is it just senior officers? Or does it depend on the safe manning certificate or something?

          Comment


          • #6
            In theory only the person responsible loading and discharging requires a DCE.
            In practice everyone on the tanker or at least all the officers will require a DCE.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              In theory only the person responsible loading and discharging requires a DCE.
              In practice everyone on the tanker or at least all the officers will require a DCE.
              But if all of the officers require one that means it is impossible to sail on one unless you sailed on one as a cadet.

              Comment


              • #8
                As Lewis siad you dont need one unless your responsible for handling cargo so in turn you can sail on one was a junior officer that gets you the time and then you get into the proper job.

                like everything a compnay can easily make sure that you get it if they would prefer to employ you rather than someone else,
                you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yip seems like one of those classic catch 22s
                  Can't get the job without experience
                  Can't get experience without the job

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I looked into this recently for myself, as I understand it most of the oil majors require all of the normal ship's complement of officers to hold a DCE, but companies can allow someone to sail as supernumerary to gain a DCE.
                    Go out, do stuff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                      I looked into this recently for myself, as I understand it most of the oil majors require all of the normal ship's complement of officers to hold a DCE, but companies can allow someone to sail as supernumerary to gain a DCE.
                      Thats pretty much it bang on as thats normally what we do....
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

                      All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        But then given the coice of somebody with an endorsment or somebody you would have to pay while they get one, which do you think get the job.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                          But then given the coice of somebody with an endorsment or somebody you would have to pay while they get one, which do you think get the job.
                          Depends on a whole lot of factors. We do it for the LNG fleet...
                          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

                          All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                            Depends on a whole lot of factors....

                            Is being a numpty an actual factor?
                            But just becasue some one has the DCE does not mean that they are actually better at the job and thats what the company will be considering
                            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                              Is being a numpty an actual factor?
                              But just becasue some one has the DCE does not mean that they are actually better at the job and thats what the company will be considering
                              How do we know someone is a numpty until they actually spend some time on board?

                              Also, just a small thing I'd like to point out, especially as I did see some cadets wandering around our office a while back, if you ever go to your companies office then try to look like a professional. Wandering in looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards whilst trying to eat a kebab isn't exactly what many would call professional. We also don't like to see: -



                              or



                              Rant over...
                              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

                              All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X