Platform Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platform Supply

I'm working for a company specializing in north sea platform supply, and was wondering what the typical working day for a cadet is on these ships, and also what kind of facilities are onboard these vessels (e.g. gymnasiums, recreation rooms ect), as my company does not have much information on the vessels, just the basics. I'm on 90-100m PSV's working out of scotland.

Also, what is it like working on these ships as i have heard alot of horror stories about storms, seasickness, nothing to do aparts from roughing out storms and the crew all being either all foreign or all old fishermen/seadogs running the vessels.

Cheers

what company

Comment

Hello Rmar11, I work for Farstad offshore in the northsea and I have just come back from my first sea phase. I never met a single ex fishermen on three different ships. All the ships I sailed on all had a gym and a tv room. The weather is very poor and you just have to rough it out. My working days depended on the chief engineer, it was either UMS day work (8-5) or 4 hour watches with a few six hour watches thrown in. Alot of northsea companies use foreign crew with british officers although farstad and gulf offshore have ships with british crews.
      My advice is to get some good sea sickness tablets, grow a thick skin as some of the blokes I sailed with were a bit rough and take a few books away with you just incase you get sick of the TV.
      lead,follow or get out of the way

Comment

psv's can be pretty rough at this time of year in north sea, but it sorts the men from the boys. most of them are equipped with internet, sky tv, and gyms.

Comment

Hi Rmar11,
          In which department do You work? If it is deck department - do You have good possibilities to train on DP console in simulator mode and to assist DPO while real operations? How often and how long does Your vessel work in DP mode? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by pintero View Post
            Hi Rmar11,
            In which department do You work? If it is deck department - do You have good possibilities to train on DP console in simulator mode and to assist DPO while real operations? How often and how long does Your vessel work in DP mode? Thanks in advance!
            Engine

Comment

What kind of equipment can i expect to find in the gymnasiums?

Comment

Could You tell me anyway how often and how long the vessel operates in DP? Engine room is also alerted of power demand for thrusters.

Comment

The vessel will operate in DP mode for as long as required and when required.

Comment

That is what I know too I wonder how it looks in practice. I am looking for type of vessel where I can do my DP familarization as quick as it's possible. I heard that shuttle tankers operates in DP mode once a week, I suppose that PSV's operates very often but I would like to hear it from someone who is on board of this kind of vessel.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmar11 View Post
                      Bikes, Free weights, treadmill, rowing machines, punchbag and a cross trainer. That was what we had onboard. Oh and one ship had a dartboard.
                      It comes down to the company and how much they spend on crew welfare,
                      lead,follow or get out of the way

Comment

That is what I know too I wonder how it looks in practice. I am looking for type of vessel where I can do my DP familarization as quick as it's possible. I heard that shuttle tankers operates in DP mode once a week, I suppose that PSV's operates very often but I would like to hear it from someone who is on board of this kind of vessel.
                        I do work on these kind of vessels.

What you are asking is how long is a piece of string.

Survey ships can sit on location for weeks in DP, they can also never go into DP.

PSV can sit in DP for 12 hours a day every day, or they can be sat alongside waiting for a charter.

Comment

That is exatcly what I wanted to know. Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Rmar11 View Post
                            strong men

Comment

For the 30 day familiarisation part of the DP log book it doesn't matter how many days you spend in DP. As long as you get the introduction tasks signed off, you could be on a vessel that spend 1 hour in DP in 30 days you were on board and that would be enough to be able to do the advanced part. As long as the vessel is classed as DP 1,2 or 3. It is only once you have completed the advanced course you have to worry about days in DP. You need to have 183 days spent of a vessel that has been in DP for at least 1 hour of each day, then be issued with a DP ticket, also note that vessel must be class 2 or 3 or else it will be a limited DP ticket.

Comment

Working...
                              X