Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What next?

Hello!
    I would like to ask You for any advice what can I do next..
    I graduated Maritime University at Navigational Department at Maritime Transport specialization. I obtained Officer in charge of a navigational watch certificate and Bachelor of Engineering degree. I did my seamanship training:

-jointly 3 months on sailing vessel on navigational training
    -2 weeks of maneuvering training on small research vessel
    -1 year on ro-pax vessel (6hrs on deck and 6hrs of watchkeeping on wheelhouse)
    -1 month on the same ro-pax as O/S

Now I continue my education at the same department, at Offshore Technologies which includes basics of oil extraction technologies, stabilities of offshore units and DP Basic course. At this week I am just attending the course so I can sign it in my application.
    I am going to graduate in the end of February of 2013 with Master of Engineering degree, but if I find a job as deck cadet on offshore vessel I can go for 4-5 weeks.

The only job I was offered to was O/S on the same ro-pax I was working. 2/1 months but with practicly no possibility to promote for officer of the watch
    I've been sending well prepared application directly to offshore companies for about a year and the only response I got was "Thank you very much for application!We are terribly sorry we cannot hire you.." . Even when a Deck Cadet job position is available on their site ...
    My question is: what can I do better:
    1) keep pushing offshore companies and try to get there as a deck cadet, (I heard that it's hard to promote on offshore)
    2) try to find a job at ro-ro/ro-pax, promote and then try to get to offshore as cadet,
    3) go for many many months at cargo vessel, promote and then try offshore (my wife is not going to allow that hehe)

Now I apply for Trainee Navigator/Deck Cadet. Maybe it's better to change it to only Deck Cadet, or Deck Trainee (what is the diffrence?) or maybe DPO Trainee?

I am getting worried because I am graduating in few months and don't want to end in district shop with OOW and DP basic...

I would be grateful for any advices, and Your experiences!
    I hope my english is not so bad so You can read it without any problems

Sounds like you will have good qualifications when you will be finished!

The job market is not great for the offshore work now, unless you have the unlimited DP ticket. Without OOW ticket you can't complete the DP advanced course, so if you want to work offshore it would be wise to get your OOW ticket first then get the DP Unlimited and the worlds your oyster. Getting OOW ticket on cargo vessel or roro could be an idea, then try and get into offshore on a DP equipped vessel such as a PSV, but if that doesn't work try to get your mates or masters ticket on cargo ship as quick as possible and then it would be easy to get into offshore DP equipped vessels.

Comment

Thank You for response. Yes, it may sounds interesting but as far as I can see, no offshore companies are interested in my diplomas and knowledge. Experience, experience and experience!
      I do have the OOW license. At Friday I will get my DP logbook and have 5 years to obtain DP unlimited.
      I perfectly know what are the phases to get DPO unltd and when I will have 30 days of familiarisation and DP Advance - there will be nothing to worry about! But the only, main, big problem is how to "break" into the offshore industry. I have never been on offshore vessel, I have never worked as and OOW (despite having the license).
      Some people say that when you once get on e.g. container, you will always work on container. For example agencies hiring for AHTS do not accept experience from PSV and so on hehe. That is why I am a little afraid of going to ro-ro in my case.
      Anyone has any experience? Did you applied for deck cadet or dpo/navigator trainee? What is the best way?

Comment

Perseverance is the key to breaking into the offshore market, it is a kind of myth that once you spent so much time on a container ship or tanker that you get labeled a "tanker man" or "container man". Offshore vessels are by far the most interesting and better paying vessels in the merchant navy without a shadow of a doubt, hence so many people want to get in.

Yes because you have little offshore experience it will be more difficult at first to get in, but keep applying and eventually an opening will come. There are many companies out there with offshore vessels that pay a poor salary, and once crew on them get a decent bit of experience they will move to the high paying offshore jobs creating openings at the bottom of the ladder. You just have to be at the right place at the right time to get your foot on the ladder, but it will come eventually. Keep applying... try companies like "Topaz" who have small salaries, but at the end of the day you need to crawl before you walk then run.

Comment

One more question for those who found a job offshore: is it worth to make the BOSIET/HUET course for my own money? Companies often pay for it for new employees but at my current situation it could be a little improvement of my qualifications. On the other hand the course is very expensive and if I wouldn't get a job in the next 5 years it will expire..

I'm not sure if this topic shouldn't be in "Aspiring cadets" section?

Comment

Pintero, I'm a little confused.. You have your OOW ticket yes? So why the need/want to get a deck cadet position, a deck cadet position is only for training to get the OOW ticket. Surely now you want to be finding a job as a 3rd or 2nd Officer??

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Yes, You're right. Theoretically I should find a job as 3rd Officer. The assumption of this position is to learn and slowly initiate for working as deck officer but there are so many OOW's right now that crewing agencies demand at least 6 months of 3/O experience to get 3/O or Junior Officer job I had very good seamanship training but without possibilities to stay there as an officer (big queue for even O/S position). I apply for Trainee Navigator or Deck Cadet postion because there is no chance to get a job as 3/O without experience on position. I hope You get my point
              At the moment I prefer to get on offshore vessel as deck cadet and make my DP familiarization than getting on ro-ro vessel as officer (although at ro-ro tend to be only 2nd mates so it's hard to get there too)

Comment

After few advices from friend-navigator I decided to form the OOW CeC in Maritime and Coastguard Agency, then do ITSO nad FRC Boatman courses in UK or Denmark. This minimum should be enough to create some chances to get on ERRV's. Any advices in this thread are welcome!

Comment

Which manning agents have you been to Pintero? What country are you based in?
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I am based in country known for its vodka and a motherland of our previous Pope. The manning agencies here hire only their own, checked, experienced staff and don't hire ratings no more. The only way to get a job for unexperienced but certificated OOWs is to contact shipowners directly. So far I have names of few companies from ERRV Association. What can You advise me GuinessMan?

Comment

Originally posted by pintero View Post
                      I am based in country known for its vodka and a motherland of our previous Pope. The manning agencies here hire only their own, checked, experienced staff and don't hire ratings no more. The only way to get a job for unexperienced but certificated OOWs is to contact shipowners directly. So far I have names of few companies from ERRV Association. What can You advise me GuinessMan?
                      Go to BGI and ASP and actually apply as either a cadet or a 3rd Mate. If you go around applying as a rating they won't take you very seriously...
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I have finally got on non-DP AHTS, the old UT704 as deck cadet for three months. She's currently engaged in both anchor handling and platform supply operations so I have good opportunity to learn. I am again a little bit worried about what will I do next - having three months of cadetship on AHTS is not enough for crewing agencies while applying for both 2/O and A/B. What can you advise me, does anyone had similar situation?

Comment

Working...
                        X