Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latsco London, can anybody give me some information about being a cadet with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobofinga
    replied
    Was a cadet in my class with them back yonder . If I remember they were Greek owners but ALL filipeeno crew . Think there gas carriers or LNG? 5/6 month trips as cadet around ze world tho.

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    *clutches mod gun close to her heart* Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....................

Ok, classroom banter misunderstood by people not in your class (and misunderstood by people in your class too it seems). End of.

Back to the original question... does anyone have personal knowledge of what it's like to sail with this company?

Originally posted by dustydom View Post
    Would it be a good idea to learn Greek? Where do the ships sail from and to? How long will I be away for? Is there any opportunities to go ashore? Anything I should know about this company?
    [GM, Equasis, is kinda useful but doesn't say where the ships go, what the people are like on board etc etc, which is what the OP was after I believe...]

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    So what exactly is the Purple Aki? You're not referring to that sex fiend are you?

Leave a comment:

• billwillis
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
    I for one would love to hear more about this. (And YES I have tried googling it, stories about some creepy guy in manchester in the 90's.... don't see how it relates to shipping)

I think some people need a little reminding how confusing and daunting it was before they got to college and got away to sea. Cryptic answers may be the first thing that pop to mind when you see a noobie asking about a company, as one tends to assume that they haven't bothered trying to to their research and come to us bleating for al the answers on a plate. (Dom, I'm assuming you're not one of those people here, don't let me down), but it's not one of the big companies, (I'd never heard of it before this thread) and the official company website isn't actually going to answer the OP's questions. Seriously, look at it.

Put the 'mod' gun down on the floor. Step away from gun.

There's a perfectly good explanation for me mentioning the purple aki, who in essence, effects all of us*

Dom here is in my class; and should have got the joke. He didn't; it back fired; and now we're left with this ghastly situation.

*Only effects those who are 14-18, male, gym members and living in the north west.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    [SARCASM/]Well thanks for sharing about this incredibly useful sounding website as soon as you found it [/SARCASM]
    I thought most folks knew about it? I know Alistair and Chiefy certainly did!

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    [SARCASM/]Well thanks for sharing about this incredibly useful sounding website as soon as you found it [/SARCASM]

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Are we talking in internet code here?? *sigh* I'm off to google... again...

FFS. Do I have to register my flipping details with EVERY website in the entire world??
    Yes and yes...

Oh, Equasis is rather good. Gives you the full information, including history and sometimes the Q88 of some ships!

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
    That, plus a little time with Equasis told me bucket loads about them...
    Are we talking in internet code here?? *sigh* I'm off to google... again...

FFS. Do I have to register my flipping details with EVERY website in the entire world??

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    That, plus a little time with Equasis told me bucket loads about them...

All seem to be fairly well run, no detentions for the last three years, few deficiencies found during PSC inspections but without access to SIRE figures then that's the most I can tell you....

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    Originally posted by billwillis View Post
    Watch out for the Purple Aki. That's my advice.
    I for one would love to hear more about this. (And YES I have tried googling it, stories about some creepy guy in manchester in the 90's.... don't see how it relates to shipping)

I think some people need a little reminding how confusing and daunting it was before they got to college and got away to sea. Cryptic answers may be the first thing that pop to mind when you see a noobie asking about a company, as one tends to assume that they haven't bothered trying to to their research and come to us bleating for al the answers on a plate. (Dom, I'm assuming you're not one of those people here, don't let me down), but it's not one of the big companies, (I'd never heard of it before this thread) and the official company website isn't actually going to answer the OP's questions. Seriously, look at it.

Leave a comment:

• tlloyd1983
    replied
    My friend did his cadetship with them. Gas ships, Filipino officers and crew, mixed review, but always take peoples reviews with a pinch of salt as they are highly subjective. And yes, they are deep sea and certainly not coastal. London management, Greek owners.

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    I can't really provide any inside information, as I'd never heard of the company until your post. However from their website they appear to have a primarily modern fleet of Gas and Product tankers, which is generally good experience for the future. Being a London based management company, I'm sure that those onboard will be fluent in the English language, but as with most ships will probably be a mix of nationalities. I suspect you'll be deep sea operating worldwide, so it will be more interesting then short sea ferries and after you qualify you can always find work on the ferries.
    You could always ask your training manager for some more information, but soon you'll be assigned a ship. Once you have the ship name you can google it and find out its recent itinerary and location from the 'Marine Traffic' website and discover the exact ship type and age.

Guinnessman might know of the company.

Leave a comment:

• gadget123
    replied
    Well it certainly isn't a short sea ferry company.

Leave a comment:

• dustydom
    replied
    Huh?

I have no idea who or what that is. Can anybody else help with more constructive advice?

Leave a comment:

• billwillis
    Guest replied
    Watch out for the Purple Aki. That's my advice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X