Container vs Car Carrier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Container vs Car Carrier?

Just called my agency and was offered a choice between a container and car carrier ships. Itinery wasnt too much of an issue as I have travelled quite a bit and Im going on board to learn. I choose a 2010 panamax container. It was a decision I made during the duration of the call as I have kinda mentally prepred myself to work on a container assuming that I wouldn't get the choice. Also I figured/assumed that the deck/cargo operations on board a container would consist of a great deal more and therefor a better learning experience.

Does anyone have some 1st hand advice on the pro's and con's of both types of ships and whether I made the right choice.

Cheers

I'm not really sure that there is a right choice, you should be fine on either ship.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

I agree with Clanky, both equally good experience. Personally would have gone for the car carrier, but the container ship will be more useful on th CV I should imagine

Comment

Car Carrier, floating box and is boring as hell.

Container Ship, also boring but not quite as bad as the car carrier
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I probably would have gone for the car carrier, but I can see the advantages in the box boat. As a cadet it is great to get the chance to try different ship types, it is quite easy to get 'branded' as a particular type of deck officer once you qualify, particularly as you get more senior so now is the time see what you like the most!
          Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Cargo ops on both types are equally fast and furious as are turn around times in port, however on the container you will see more of the cargo planning / stowage with regards to cargo types...Dangerous Cargoes and their segregation / stowage. Just as likely to see break bulks on the Box boat which can be interesting and fun.

The actual nav side is pretty much the same, most car carriers (like box boats) are on some sort of liner trade and as such it can get a bit like driving a bus but that can be both good and bad

To be honest either will be good, so no bad choice to be had..either way pack your tooth brush you're up next
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

In terms of job prospects after you qualify I would say a car carrier would be better, as this may stand you in a better position when applying for jobs on ro-pax vessels operating in UK waters.

Don't think there are many jobs for British officers on foreign going container ships or car carriers, I may be wrong, but I don't know any, and never see any jobs for them advertised.

But if you are looking for a fun cadet ship with some decent runs up the road then I've heard from other people that on container ships you tend to get a bit more of the occasional shore leave than on car carriers, apparently on car carriers your always in and out of port rapidly, container ships are not much better but I think they can get a bit more time in port sometimes.

Comment

As a cadet on wilhelmsen car carriers I would go for the car side of things just because there is much more involvement in the cargo ops and we do tend to be in port a little bit longer than the containers that some of my mates are on. It also seems that we get more funding that some of the container ships. Another bonus is that because it is more of a task with the toro cargo senior officers tend to be European and more likely to understand the uk training system.

Comment

Working...
                X