Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone worked on a ferry before? I need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone worked on a ferry before? I need some help!

Hi guys,
    I have just been given my first sea appointment, which is working on a condor ferry between portsmouth, jersey & gernsey. I was expecting to be deep sea so I have come a bit unstuck. Just a few things I hope someone can clear up (I have never been to sea before and I don't know a lot)...
    - Are ferries normally UMS or watchkeeping?
    - What are the crew facilities like? I can't imagine there being much to do on a ferry as oppose to a bigger vessel? Is there a gym etc. ?
    - How often will you leave the ferry? (I was hoping to be deep sea to save a bit of money!)
    - What are the cabins like? will I most likely be sharing with another cadet?

I would be really grateful if someone could clear these things up for me !
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Snorey8; 14 August 2012, 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot a question

Mate, you need to calm yourself down; all this will become apparant when you join the ship. Surely finding it out is all part of the adventure?
    "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

yeah I know dude but it's just in regards to what to take? I pretty much had my bags packed for a LPG and now im on a ferry?

Comment

I am a cadet on a ferry just now and felt pretty much the way you feel when I got their thats soon changed. The main upside being all the crew are British so they know exactly what your training requires as they done the same training. I will answer your questions based on my experience although your ferry probably different

Are ferries normally UMS or watch keeping?

mine was watch keeping although we normally don't sail at night so engineers go to sleep and motormen take turns doing night shift. it was built in 1989 so probably UMS on more modern ferries

- What are the crew facilities like? I can't imagine there being much to do on a ferry as oppose to a bigger vessel? Is there a gym etc. ?

Crew and officers mess with satellite tv and xbox. Gym but it wasn't very good exercise bike and a cheap weight bench. Best of all british crew ment food was pretty good none of the crazy stuff i've heard of Filipinos and easter Europeans eating.

- How often will you leave the ferry? (I was hoping to be deep sea to save a bit of money!)

We could get off every night although often this would be late so usually would rather go to bed. Although a couple of nights a week got in early giving a chance to get to supermarket even the occasional drink in the pub.

- What are the cabins like? will I most likely be sharing with another cadet?

There are two cadets on my ship we both have or own cabin and they are a good size with en-suit.

As what to take you'll need exactly the same things I would imagine only difference is you will probably be wearing your uniform more often.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorey8 View Post
          - Are ferries normally UMS or watchkeeping?
          AIUI passenger ships must have manned machinery spaces whilst passengers are embarked.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            AIUI passenger ships must have manned machinery spaces whilst passengers are embarked.
            Yes, if your vessel is a passenger ship/ferry then the engine must be manned. However, most RO/RO's generally have the accommodation area forwards with the engine room at the aft and would be fitted with a UMS, but would most likely not be used because it's impracticale.
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Only when their are passengers aboard many ferries don't do over night sailings.

Comment

Can't speak for your company but I'm just finishing up phase 2 with one of the bigger ferry companies. I'd imagine the whole experience differs from ship/route/company but as someone else has already said, it's not worth getting worried over. You'll find out for yourself soon enough!

That said PM me if you've any specific questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_S View Post
                  That said PM me if you've any specific questions.
                  Please no! Try and keep it in the open forum so that others with similar questions can see it as well....

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                    Please no! Try and keep it in the open forum so that others with similar questions can see it as well....
                    Just wary of what gets put up on public forums. Especially this one as I'll guess it's more under the spotlight than most from people in the MN.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_S View Post
                      Just wary of what gets put up on public forums. Especially this one as I'll guess it's more under the spotlight than most from people in the MN.
                      If it's just general questions about ferries, how they operate and what not and what they do then there is little harm in it so we would prefer it if you left it here.

If it is something that may identify who you are, like "what company you with?" then obviously keep it in PM (the MODS remove it anyways). We just prefer that stuff liable to be useful to another be kept in an open forum for others to read, discuss and for new folks to see (if they ever figure out how the faarking search button works).

Comment

Hence the Anonymous forum on here. For telling the whole world what ****s your company are.
                        Linkedin

Comment

Not mine of course. Mine are great, wonderful chaps.
                          Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
                            Not mine of course. Mine are great, wonderful chaps.
                            Someone wants a job after their cadetships.
                            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                              Someone wants a job after their cadetships.

Why does he get to do more than one?
                              you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
                              X