Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maritime Education Foundation - MEF

Hi Everybody.

I'm Phil; a new cadet about to begin my first phase at Warsash in September and I'm going to be sponsored by the MEF via SSTG. I understand how the MEF works sort of, it's a charity funded by the government by donating the levies from shipping companies who don't comply with their cadet quota for whatever reason (i.e. cadet drop-outs, or not recruiting enough cadets in the first place). The MEF then sponsors cadets and blah blah blah.

The thing I would like to find out is what kind of experience anybody else who has been already sponsored by them has had. Sea phases can be a bit of an unknown from what I have already gathered as they have to buy the Sea time for you from a company as they see fit/possible. I don't mind not knowing what type of ship I'll be working on, or where I'll be working during my Sea phases as I don't really know what I'd like to do in the future anyway. The more different experiences I get as a cadet the better! What sort of time scale (days, weeks, months?) can I expect to be notified about what ship I'll be on and where? How much influence, if any, do you get over what ship type you work on?

If anybody can help me out at all it will be very much appreciated, thanks !
    "You really are as thick as clotted cream, that's been left out by some clot, and now the clots are so clotted, you couldn't unclot them with an electric de-clotter, aren't you, Baldrick?" - E. Blackadder.

Hi Phil! Welcome to OC

Originally posted by philbrill1990 View Post
    How much influence, if any, do you get over what ship type you work on?
    Probably none, but you will be more likely to get a chance to sail on a variety of ship types.

Keep us up to date on how it goes! S4

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

That's what I expected to hear but a little influence would always be useful. The fact I could go on any ship anywhere suits me so I'm looking forward to it (Living life on the wild side ). There isn't a whole load of info on the MEF hanging about the place so I'll gladly keep you posted as I learn things myself!
      Cheers .
      "You really are as thick as clotted cream, that's been left out by some clot, and now the clots are so clotted, you couldn't unclot them with an electric de-clotter, aren't you, Baldrick?" - E. Blackadder.

Comment

Hey Phil,

I am an engine cadet who is also sponsored by MEF. i am just waiting for my joining instructions for my second sea phase. For my first sea phase i was sent to a general cargo ship owned by the late Stephenson Clark. i received my instructions within 4 days of finishing my college phase. from what i have gathered while on the boat MEF seem to be a well organised company with a good level of training. they will put you through most of the tickets available for a cadet. i was one of only 5 people in my intake to be put on the tanker familiarization course. Another cadet in my class ended up with a 3 month trip on board a cruise ship with princes cruises.

a few cadets had problems with being on ships with non english speakers. but MEF told me that they try to the best of their ability to have at least english speakers or British COC holders onboard. all in all they seem to be a good sponsoring company and as a wee perk they also supply you with MEF jackets, jumpers and other paraphernalia.

Hope it helps

Comment

hi im also MEF i was wondering if you ever had contact with anyone from MEF, i dont even have so much as a name to contact outside sstg. my sea time with them was shocking i got placed on a container vessel which routinley broke rules and cut corners so much so i ended up in hospital. by the looks of the above post this is an isolated incident though.

Comment

What the hell went on for you to wind up in Hospital?
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by K202 View Post
              hi im also MEF i was wondering if you ever had contact with anyone from MEF, i dont even have so much as a name to contact outside sstg. my sea time with them was shocking i got placed on a container vessel which routinley broke rules and cut corners so much so i ended up in hospital. by the looks of the above post this is an isolated incident though.
              MEF can be very hit and miss.

SSTG has to buy places of random shipping companies for their cadets, sometimes it seems they take whatever they can get.

Comment

Working...
              X