Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot boat coxwain or Tug master

Hi guys!
    I'm currently 2 weeks away from finishing my first college phase and I've been thinking about the future about after I finish my cadet ship about what sector I'd like to work in. Ever since I can remember I've been fascinated with pilot boats (not the actual pilot) and tug boats, I've pretty much got my heart set on one of these jobs but the hard part is finding information on how to acquire these jobs and what sort of qualifications i need to get them?

I'd love any info if possible about either of them.
    Many thanks in advance!

Not sure about every port but here in Barrow crews for the tug and pilot boat are only RYA qualified. The pilot boat coxswain holds RYA powerboat level 2, and the tug is RYA Yachtmaster qualified. I'm sure they'd take other qualifications aswell but that's what they currently hold. For pilot boats look on port websites such as Abp and Port of LOndon. However, few ports will have a specific coxswain for their pilot boat in the uk. They double. Up as engineers aswell. Probably not much use but just what I learnt on my work experience.

Comment

Originally posted by niyall22 View Post
      Not sure about every port but here in Barrow crews for the tug and pilot boat are only RYA qualified. The pilot boat coxswain holds RYA powerboat level 2, and the tug is RYA Yachtmaster qualified. I'm sure they'd take other qualifications aswell but that's what they currently hold. For pilot boats look on port websites such as Abp and Port of LOndon. However, few ports will have a specific coxswain for their pilot boat in the uk. They double. Up as engineers aswell. Probably not much use but just what I learnt on my work experience.
      Barrow, as in Barrow-in-Furness? From near Ulverston myself. whats ya name?

Comment

You occasionally see Merchant Seafarers moving into jobs on the larger tugs, but I've never heard of anyone going on to Pilot Boats. Your ticket will allow you to operate much larger vessels, but if you wish to go onto something this size, I'm sure its not a problem.

Comment

Go on a standby boat if you like pilot boats, plenty time to muck around in daughter crafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Go on a standby boat if you like pilot boats, plenty time to muck around in daughter crafts.
            Not if you're an OOW; you'll have plenty of other things to do and the cox may not take kindly to you pinching his seat! I'm an engineer and I get more time whizzing around than the 2nd mate.
            '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
            just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
            down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
            new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

That varies ship to ship really.

Most Mates I have sailed with prefer to drive the big boat rather than the toy anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X