Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Equipment for WBL

Hi guys,

Im off to sea soon (no date or ship info yet! grrr), but I've decided to record some video for my Work Based Learning. My options are either getting an SLR for video and photo, or getting something smaller, be it a compact or a separate camcorder. What would people advise? Is size an issue on board when recording?

Thanks!!

I can see your thinking that video would be good, but how would you plan on submitting video as part of your WBL?

Its submitted as typed reports in a printed fashion at Warsash, my reports have plenty of photos.

Comment

We've been given the option to submit it in any form. Some people did it in website/newspaper form. We can submit it with a usb stick so the video can be delivered too. I dont know if it's just Fleetwood inhaling fumes mind you

Comment

On camera's dont get an SLR, consider the practicalites of when/what you want to record ideally something small and simple will be the best, as nothing will wait for you to go back to the cabin to get it.

That said while video is a good way of showing something its not really best if your behind the camera, as you will then be showing what other people know not what you have learned
        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Cool, cheers for the response!

Comment

Buy a good smartphone. They all take pretty decent video.

Keep it in your pocket all the time. The best camera is the one that's available when the "Kodak moment" presents itself.
            http://www.theoffshorezone.com

Comment

At South Tyneside college, we delivered 2 reports for our WBL and one power point presentation.

Comment

On another note does any one else own a dslr and take it with them, any problems with doing that? Just brought a dslr in hopes of taking it with me for a few snaps (none work stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by Bulman View Post
                  On another note does any one else own a dslr and take it with them, any problems with doing that? Just brought a dslr in hopes of taking it with me for a few snaps (none work stuff)
                  I take one with me now depending on where I am going and for how long I'm there for. If I'm going somewhere where all I'm going to have time to do is work on board I don't, I use my pointy clicky, if I'm going somewhere where I will have a day or two to kill, I take the DSLR.
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

If you are really set on doing a video then by all means do. I tired it and it didn't really work for me and so ended up reverting to good old paper reports, which still got me over 80%.

A word of advice though, don't go getting up in the Captain's grill during mooring or at some critical moment, he doesn't take well to it

Comment

Watch out for the Philipino crew as well. They all started posing whenever they saw my camera in my hands!
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                      X