Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books are expensive. What's the solution?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maritimer
    replied
    FWIW 20% off Witherby titles can be currently had be entering codes 'deck20' or 'engine20' at the online checkout. No idea of the validity window. Sometimes discount codes also work by prefixing the '20' with the name of your nautical college of choice.

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    They are bookie.....not legit and of lower quality paper and binding....tiara used to be a source of such books too......I have a copy of knapp which was a fraction of the UK price

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
    I'd love to know how they do it. My partner and I run an online shop, and we buy directly from them. Our trade discount is nowhere near that.
    Subsidy?

Leave a comment:

• laura
    replied
    Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
    You really shouldn't need to take Norries away to sea, that one will be on the bridge for sure!
    If it's not a British ship... there's a requirement to carry navigational tables but not necessarily Norries, I ordered one for the use of cadets on my last ship as the navigational tables we had weren't in english... which is fine for the numbers part but every so slightly confusing to figure which table it is.... tried to find DMP... not a chance!

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied
    Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
    In the Philippines, all the Seamanship International Books are available in the maritime book stores at 1/4 of the price. Just goes to show the profit margin.
    I'd love to know how they do it. My partner and I run an online shop, and we buy directly from them. Our trade discount is nowhere near that.

Leave a comment:

• SeaDog_84
    replied
    I never found it necessary to buy any books when I was at college in Fleetwood. The library is decently stocked, some books are reference only so just photocopy what you need.

When at sea you'll find copies of important publications on the bridge. Just make sure you ask/tell an officer that are borrowing them for your studies.

You'll probably have a house share in your second phase, we generally used to work together and share books etc.

The only exception was some of the study notes for orals which I purchased. There are a lot of dodgy pdf scanned copies of books about, you pick em up when your at college

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    My last ship did. Their's no way i am humphing a copy of nories round the world
    Was more for going to college. My kindle is far lighter than my copy of nories.

Leave a comment:

• EH75
    replied
    Not necessarily! My last ship didn't have a copy of Norries on board, which I did think was a bit strange but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    anyone have or know where i can get an electronic copy of norries?
    Can't be bothered shifting the real thing about any more
    You really shouldn't need to take Norries away to sea, that one will be on the bridge for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    anyone have or know where i can get an electronic copy of norries?
    Can't be bothered shifting the real thing about any more

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied
    As someone already said, a quick google search will get you a PDF copy of pretty much all of them.

As for what to do when at sea - your ship should have all the IMO / regulation based ones onboard + loads of other random crap as required by your company or flag.

Leave a comment:

• The H
    replied
    Originally posted by pignutpilot View Post
    Another suggestion would be to use the library.
    Unfortunately a library does not always contain enough copies of each book for the number of cadets that require them, hence the need for them to currently purchase the books for themselves..

Leave a comment:

• HarmlessWeasel
    replied
    Any book you own, you can legally make a digital copy of. However distributing your own digital copies or copying library books is illegal and iffy (probably illegal) respectively. You should see the flow chart that we have on our photocopiers at uni to help us decipher whether we can photocopy the music or not...

Leave a comment:

• Fox
    replied
    At Fleetwood we've been told we'll get copies of some text books on disc so we can easily take them to sea. These are books that the College produce themselves though so I would guess no copyright issues.

Leave a comment:

• gadget123
    replied
    Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
    What do you do when your on a sea phase and you can't use the library? I doubt council libraries stock copies of STCW etc.

I think e-books are the way forward, as we all know an iPad/kindle takes up much less space and weight than the books.
    There are "ways" of getting PDF copies of most of the books you will need as a cadet in PDF format.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X