Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books are expensive. What's the solution?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books are expensive. What's the solution?

Hopefuly all will have heard of the Marine Society < www.marine-society.org >. Based in London, we've been supporting those who go to sea for longer than any other organisation. Most know we're also booksellers to the maritime sector, stocking an extensive range of titles at www.msbookshop.org

We're increasingly concerned that those just setting out on their careers are struggling to afford the essential textbooks their colleges say they need to buy.

So we're thinking of setting up a scheme to put vendor in touch with buyers, thus making it easier to get hold of used books at a fraction of the cost. A sort of eBay for seafarers.

Is this a good idea? Are we right to believe such a service is needed? Would it be helpful?

We have an idea of how it might work. Perhaps you have a better idea? Please share it.

As ever, we'd be interested in your views and experiences. Please either use this forum or feel free to contact me directly in confidence on this or any other matter of concern (education@ms-sc.org).

Thanks.
    Brian Thomas
    Director, The Marine Society

Visit our website
    Follow us on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

The Marine Society is the world's most experienced not for profit supporting the well being of those who go to sea.
    Offering high quality, flexible learning provision focused on the needs of seafarers and shore-based maritime professionals.

That sounds like a good idea, the trouble I have is getting the books on ship what with flight restrictions etc. what I personally would find useful is an rebook version of the notes...most people have laptops etc these days so would be perfect

Comment

Another suggestion would be that companies purchase a number of the necessary text books. These are then passed on to the cadets via the cadet training officer in return for a deposit.

On completion of each phase if the books are no longer required by the cadet they are returned to the CTO who can in turn pass them onto other cadets. Saves having to purchase quite so many books.
      Forum Admin

Comment

In the Philippines, all the Seamanship International Books are available in the maritime book stores at 1/4 of the price. Just goes to show the profit margin.

Comment

Originally posted by The H View Post
          Another suggestion would be that companies purchase a number of the necessary text books. These are then passed on to the cadets via the cadet training officer in return for a deposit.

On completion of each phase if the books are no longer required by the cadet they are returned to the CTO who can in turn pass them onto other cadets. Saves having to purchase quite so many books.
          Another suggestion would be to use the library.

Comment

Would be nice if more nautical books were avalible for kindle as well

Comment

Originally posted by pignutpilot View Post
              What do you do when your on a sea phase and you can't use the library? I doubt council libraries stock copies of STCW etc.

I think e-books are the way forward, as we all know an iPad/kindle takes up much less space and weight than the books.
              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                What do you do when your on a sea phase and you can't use the library? I doubt council libraries stock copies of STCW etc.

I think e-books are the way forward, as we all know an iPad/kindle takes up much less space and weight than the books.
                There are "ways" of getting PDF copies of most of the books you will need as a cadet in PDF format.

Comment

At Fleetwood we've been told we'll get copies of some text books on disc so we can easily take them to sea. These are books that the College produce themselves though so I would guess no copyright issues.

Comment

Any book you own, you can legally make a digital copy of. However distributing your own digital copies or copying library books is illegal and iffy (probably illegal) respectively. You should see the flow chart that we have on our photocopiers at uni to help us decipher whether we can photocopy the music or not...

Comment

Originally posted by pignutpilot View Post
                      Unfortunately a library does not always contain enough copies of each book for the number of cadets that require them, hence the need for them to currently purchase the books for themselves..
                      Forum Admin

Comment

As someone already said, a quick google search will get you a PDF copy of pretty much all of them.

As for what to do when at sea - your ship should have all the IMO / regulation based ones onboard + loads of other random crap as required by your company or flag.
                        “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

anyone have or know where i can get an electronic copy of norries?
                          Can't be bothered shifting the real thing about any more

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                            anyone have or know where i can get an electronic copy of norries?
                            Can't be bothered shifting the real thing about any more
                            You really shouldn't need to take Norries away to sea, that one will be on the bridge for sure!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Not necessarily! My last ship didn't have a copy of Norries on board, which I did think was a bit strange but there you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X