What to take to college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to take to college?

Had a look through posts and there is bits but can anyone give a full list of what a deck cadet needs/could do with at college?
    Cheers
    TIA

if someone could also include what ETC's should take, maybe a list of what common things to take then a list for Deck, Engineer and Electrical ?

Comment

Electrical things theres really not much, for any pratical work your doing the college will provide, and for classes its really nothing more than a decent calculator that you know how to use, your going to be putting lots of very small and very big numbers into it so its worth knowing how to do that.
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

There was a wiki page with all this on but it has seemed to have vanished , S4 where has it disappeared to ?
        Maybe I will never be
        All the things that I want to be
        But now is not the time to cry
        Now's the time to find out why

Comment

There are several;

http://www.officercadet.com/content....to-take-to-sea

http://www.officercadet.com/content....-should-I-pack
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

The wiki is no longer... long story. Anyway, who said I was in charge of that kind of stuff???

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
              The wiki is no longer... long story. Anyway, who said I was in charge of that kind of stuff???
              You volunteered while drunk one night :-)
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Did not!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                  Did not!
                  Hmmm...
                  "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

is their any point me taking my tv, xbox and sound system

Comment

i wouldnt take the sound system as you really arent going to be popular with loud music, but xbox and tv yeah ok its stuff you have to carry and move but if you use it a lot then its better than not bringing it, just be aware rooms can be small
                      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Depends, which college are you off to and are you planning on doing any work while you're there?

Size4riggerboots

Comment

fleetwood and bringing them to occupy me when iv finish working

Comment

Dannyboy, please don't turn into one of the people that just locks himself in his room and wears his thumbs out after work. Its much better to go out and do something with your mates, even if its just a walk to the shop for a choccy bar. As you're entering a career where one is confined to a metal box in the ocean for days/weeks/months at a time, you should avoid becoming a recluse and use every oppurtunity to get out and about.
                            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                              ...... but xbox and tv yeah ok its stuff you have to carry and move .......
                              Please check the colleges policy on TV licences. Just because they have a telly in the common room does not mean they have a licence that covers you. Also do not assume that you are covered by mum & dad's licence. The only way that you do not need a licene is if the receiving equipment runs off battery when you watch it, and has no external aerial for signal.

The rule on communal licences is that if you keep a tv behind a locked door you need a seperate licence for it. Same goes for shared accomodation like a shared house where you lock your door to your room. You need a seperate licence if you have a telly in your room.

Also remember that if they knock on the door it is the person that answers the door that is responsible, so always get your mate to answer the door so you have time to climb out of the window and he/she gets the summons!

However the best bit of advice is as Ducki says, leave 'em at home and go out every night!

Ian
                              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X