Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbathing/Working out whilst away

Hi everyone,

2 ridiculous questions here but i like to train in the gym and use sunbeds in my spare time, its just a habit of mine, so here comes the two questions:

1) when i am on my sea phase, (if it was hot enough) would i have the time to sunbathe in my spare time?
    2) is there a gym onboard most ships?

thanks

1) Spare time? Spare Time? What Spare time are you expecting? (Sometimes you will)

2) Some, but not all. Depends on the vessel...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

If you are on watches then yes you should get a bit of time off and yes you should be able to get a bit of bronzy time in (assuming that you are not in the North Sea in winter). If you are on day work then you might be able to snatch half an hour every lunch time.

More and more ships have a gym onboard these days, especially as more and more companies are trying to curb alcohol consumption onboard and even some ship owners have realised that if you want to stick people in a confined environment for long periods of time without them going on the piss then it might be a good idea to provide an alternative.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

i'd like to think i'd be able to work out whilst away! Its the only thing im committed to at home!

Do you not get any time off at all whilst away? What about weekends?

Comment

As a cadet you might get a study day, but you are expected to use it to study, it is not an excuse to stay in bed all day.

Time off varies greatly from company to company / ship to ship, on my current vessel cadets work approximately 10 hours per day and are either given a day off per week or 2 half days for study. If you want to go to the gym you would be expected to fit it in around your working schedule.

Depending on ship type and age you will either be watchkeeping which is usually 4 hours on and 8 hours off with a couple of hours overtime after one of the watches or on day work which is generally 8am to either 5 or 6pm with an hour off for lunch. So you should be able to find a bit of time for the gym in amongst all that.

The only exception is if you are under 18 and sailing on a UK flagged vessel then there are very strict rules on how many hours you can work.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

For me we work during the day and have Sundays as a study day and we are expected to do work and the CE does ask us and check what we have done, we use sunday mornings to trace a system and the afternoon is used making a good copy of that and then making notes and studying. As for sunbathing it's far to darn hot for that here haha and I don't tan anyway just go from red to white and back to red again so I don't bother but after working you can maybe get some time in
            Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
            Adapt and over come
            Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

You will definately have time to goto the gym, and probably even sunbath depending on your ship type. I have to admit when i was a cadet, I was in my late teens and seemed to need a lot of sleep around my work, now i'm in my late twenties I seem to only sleep around 6 or 7 hours a night max, so never have a problem finding time to do things. Even on the cruise ships working 12-14 hours a day we managed to find time to goto the gym.
              A word of caution on sunbathing, once you get near the tropics and into the Southern Hemisphere be very careful, 30 mins in the sun around midday can give you one hell of a burn.

Comment

Getting badly sunburnt, especially on your back, is a sackable offence in some companies as you would be no good to anyone in the event of a fire or something like that...

Comment

could do with some more of that mentality onboard here
                  you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

The looks from the crew from sunnier places (i.e phillipines, india anywhere other than britain really!) when you say you are intentionally exposing your skin to the sun are pretty funny. Had to explain about The Great Scottish Vitamin D Shortage.

Comment

Originally posted by mak View Post
                      Had to explain about The Great Scottish Vitamin D Shortage.
                      I thought that they had decided to add it to White Lightning and Irn Bru to help you all.........

... I'll get my coat!
                      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                        I thought that they had decided to add it to White Lightning and Irn Bru to help you all.........

... I'll get my coat!
                        I thought it was in the Buckie as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post

... I'll get my coat!
                          Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                          I thought it was in the Buckie as well...
                          Can you imagine the healthiest Scotsmen all being the Jakeys on Buchanan St?

"Geez a poun' for a bit o' vitamin D pal!"
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                            Can you imagine the healthiest Scotsmen all being the Jakeys on Buchanan St?

"Geez a poun' for a bit o' vitamin D pal!"
                            Nearly spat tea all over the monitor!

I hear that government scientists even tried to put it into both Spam and Mars Bars, but apparently deep frying them caused the Vitamin D to be less effective!

I remember following a couple of staggering crewmen down Regent Quay in Aberdeen late one night, and as usual everyone called into the Crown and Anchor for a last drink before going back into the docks. (Nobody goes in there for the atmosphere, trust me!) One of them turns to his mate with his head swaying and says "hey pal, weet a minoot", walks up to the wall, steps back, judges his distance, shuffles back a bit and falls forwards with his hands against the wall. He is now like a ladder at 45 degrees to the wall and then proceeds to vomit a solid bar of beer for 30 seconds. Eventually he stands up and says "Aye, thats beetter, did na splash ma shoooos thees time!" He then wipes his mouth and staggers into the bar and orders a pint!

Dedication to drinking! Now if only it was an olympic sport.......

Ian
                            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

^I'm sure i've seen this same character outside trocs in shields on a friday night

Comment

Working...
                              X