B.Eng (Hons) Marine Engineering Sponsorship CMA CGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.Eng (Hons) Marine Engineering Sponsorship CMA CGM

Hey guys. I am currently studying foundation degree marine engineering sponsored by CMA CGM through SSTG. Does anyone have any information regarding whether sponsorship is available for cadets to do a fourth year to get the full degree with this company?
    Thanks.

I don't think so with CMA CGM. I have heard that this company take great delight in dropping you like a sack of spuds as soon as you have your ticket and stop being a source of tax relief. Sorry for the news pal, but a few years at sea and some prudent saving should see you set for that last year to top your degree up.
    "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Dunno about the sponsorships bit but I do know the best place to do it is Warsash as you can do a 15 week semester and then finish it through a distance learning course all in for about 4 grand, whereas at STC its 9 grand and 30weeks f/t attendance. Ive got the whole bumf from Harry Crompton if you want us to forward you the email?

Comment

I would say its pretty unlikely as the tonnage tax benefit to CMA CGM stops as soon as you are qualified. Also from what I've seen CMA employ very few European junior officers.

Also if it is your intention to work at sea I would be very cautious of any funding for a degree as it is possible that they are training you up to slot you into a shore based job in the office, not a bad thing if that's what you want but be aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
          I would say its pretty unlikely as the tonnage tax benefit to CMA CGM stops as soon as you are qualified. Also from what I've seen CMA employ very few European junior officers.

Also if it is your intention to work at sea I would be very cautious of any funding for a degree as it is possible that they are training you up to slot you into a shore based job in the office, not a bad thing if that's what you want but be aware of it.
          This is very true, I no longer tell shipping companies that I have a degree because as soon as they find out they try to drag me into the office, if they had paid for it the pressure would be even worse.

It's a pain in the ass trying to figure out which version of my cv to send with applications though!
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

If you wouldn't mind sending me Harry's email address, it would be much appreciated.

Comment

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X