Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What if?

    As I'm due away to sea very soon, I've been doing a lot of thinking causing me to think of the "what if's"...

    My biggest question is what if life at sea is not for me, what if I don't like it? Are there jobs onshore that a cadetship can also get me?

    Any advice on this would be great!
    Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jord View Post
    As I'm due away to sea very soon, I've been doing a lot of thinking causing me to think of the "what if's"...

    My biggest question is what if life at sea is not for me, what if I don't like it? Are there jobs onshore that a cadetship can also get me?

    Any advice on this would be great!
    Thanks.
    It's usual to be apprehensive about your first trip. A career at sea is a lifestyle not just a job and not everyone likes it.

    Just remember, there may well be a time in your first trip where you feel like you just want to go home, that you really don't want to do it any more. This is also quite common. Don't make any fast decisions on whether or not this is for you, wait until you've done your first trip, until you get home and have all your usual stuff around you again. After a couple of weeks you may feel that you actually enjoyed most of it and could do it again, or you may really feel like you don't want to go back, which is fine too it's not for everyone.

    As for jobs ashore after cadetship, yeah there are lots of shoreside jobs in the industry you can get with the qualification. However, most would like some experience of sailing as a qualified officer and the better jobs will really start coming in when you have a chief mates or master's ticket. You may well get a job after cadetship but it would be so much easier and there will be so many more options open to you if you sail as a qualified officer to gain experience.

    To boldly go.....
    Forum Administrator
    OfficerCadet.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Randomist View Post
      It's usual to be apprehensive about your first trip. A career at sea is a lifestyle not just a job and not everyone likes it.

      Just remember, there may well be a time in your first trip where you feel like you just want to go home, that you really don't want to do it any more. This is also quite common. Don't make any fast decisions on whether or not this is for you, wait until you've done your first trip, until you get home and have all your usual stuff around you again. After a couple of weeks you may feel that you actually enjoyed most of it and could do it again, or you may really feel like you don't want to go back, which is fine too it's not for everyone.

      As for jobs ashore after cadetship, yeah there are lots of shoreside jobs in the industry you can get with the qualification. However, most would like some experience of sailing as a qualified officer and the better jobs will really start coming in when you have a chief mates or master's ticket. You may well get a job after cadetship but it would be so much easier and there will be so many more options open to you if you sail as a qualified officer to gain experience.


      Thanks for the advice, do you perhaps no any examples of shoreside jobs that may be available to me, or experienced anyone that has gone shoreside after their cadethship? I'm an engineering cadet if that helps with anything. I understand that sailing around first is obviously the best option, and that is my aim, I just want to know what my options are in case this lifestyle/career is not for me.


      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Loads of things, you need not have even done any sailing as an Officer to get a job in some cases.

        You could be a Fleet Superintendent, Technical Superintendent, Operations side of things, Surveyor (MCA, Lloyds, Private Sector), the list really does go on.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Loads of things, you need not have even done any sailing as an Officer to get a job in some cases.

          You could be a Fleet Superintendent, Technical Superintendent, Operations side of things, Surveyor (MCA, Lloyds, Private Sector), the list really does go on.
          wow, thanks, I didn't realised my possibilities - that eases my mind a lot. Now I can just focus myself on my cadetship and deciding if I like sea or not!

          thanks again.

          Comment


          • #6
            That is only within the marine industry, the skills you learn at sea are invaluable in other sectors too. For example, the Oil and Gas sector; you may decide to go work in a refinery, or do shorter trips away on offshore installations (Oil & Gas Rigs).

            Comment


            • #7
              Just go into your first trip with an open mind, don't be thinking about leaving before you begin! - whatever doors a cadetship will open, several more will open much wider if you get your qualifications...
              Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

              Comment

              Working...
              X