Class of ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class of ship

I've heard of large passenger ships being called class one ships. But what are the other classes of ships and where are they classified. I've had a read of SOLAS and cant see anything.

These "classes" are an MCA thing... there's probably a MGN listing them somewhere.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

They are connected with numbers of passengers, trading areas etc. and effect which rules apply to the ship.

You are most likely to be on class I pax or class VII cargo
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

It seems to come from the Fire Protection Regulations:

Classification of ships
        2. - (1) For the purposes of these Regulations ships shall be arranged in Classes as follows -

Passenger Ships
        Class I Passenger ships engaged on voyages any of which are long international voyages;
        Class II Passenger ships engaged only on short international voyages;
        Class II(A) Passenger ships engaged on voyages of any kind other than international voyages;
        Ships other than passenger ships
        Class VII Ships (other than ships of Classes I, VII(A), VII(T), XI and XII) engaged on voyages any of which are long international voyages;
        Class VII(A) Ships employed as fish processing or canning factory ships, and ships engaged in the carriage of persons employed in the fish processing or canning industries;
        Class VII(T) Tankers engaged on voyages any of which are long international voyages;
        Class VIII Ships (other than ships of Classes II, VIII(T), IX, XI and XII) engaged only on short international voyages;
        Class VIII(A) Ships (other than ships of Classes II(A) to VI(A) inclusive, VIII(A)(T), IX, IX(A), IX(A)(T), XI and XII) engaged on voyages which are not international voyages;
        Class VIII(T) Tankers engaged only on short international voyages;
        Class VIII(A)(T) Tankers engaged only on voyages which are not international voyages;
        Class IX Tugs and tenders (other than ships of Classes II, II(A), III, VI and VI(A)) which proceed to sea but are not engaged on long international voyages;
        Class IX(A) Ships which do not proceed to sea;
        Class IX(A)(T) Tankers which do not proceed to sea;
        Class XI Sailing ships (other than ships of Class XII) which proceed to sea;
        Class XII Pleasure vessels (other than passenger ships) of 13.7 metres in length or over.

Comment

Working...
        X