An engineering OOW question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An engineering OOW question

I'm an ETO cadet on the new scheme which doesn't grant an engineering OOW and since I've been on my 2nd training ship (NLV Pharos) which carries an electro mechanical engineer EME (which is their term for an ETO from the old scheme OOW engineer plus electrics add on), I started wondering...

Would ETOs on DSV, PSV and other work boat style ships all require an EOOW?

and how could I go about adding this to my skillset once I've finished the new ETO scheme?

The MCA website seems to say that outside of a cadetship, you can obtain the EOOW by basically assisting engineering watchkeepers to gain the seatime, going on an intensive college course to pass the two written exams then apply to sit the oral.

I'm keen to hear any comments from any of the qualified engineers on the forum.

Thanks, Chris
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

As far as i know the fastest way to get it would be to do an engine cadetship, as the sea time requirement is 36 months if its not part of an approved scheme. I'm also not sure that time spent as a qualified ETO onboard would count as assisting the engineering watch keepers, partly as you would be working on a ship that has the need for a dedicated ETO.

Its something i looked at but wasnt really interested in, (looks at big thumpy things, yup still there) but it does create the difficulty of ships that need an EOOW but would also like a better than base Electrical ability without the need for two different staff.
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

36 months - thats a lot of trips.

I wonder if it would be possible to do the additional academic courses required in the college course by some distance learning method then apply the grad entry route.
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Yeah that should work find out what degree courses are needed top the FD up to a full degree and apply some bits you wouldnt have to do (STCW courses) but still have to do the workshop skills and the sea time. could potentially shorten it however finding a sponsor would be difficult
        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
        X