Study method / How to remember things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study method / How to remember things

Ok guys, so I am coming to the end of phase 1 just got my heat exam tomorrow and I am done and dusted. I am quite happy with my results but I have found a weakness, which is remembering important facts/info/what symbols mean/ etc. I muddle things up as in questions and equations, I read a question and then have to work out what it's asking for and why I have those figures and how do I use them when people around me know exactly what's going on with the information and put it in the right place when I am trying to work out how to put the information in equation in the correct way and I still end up with it wrong. I don't know if it's just the teaching method doesn't work for me or what, to go with that we are taught meanings of things but then they are worded differently in questions sometimes which totally throws me off track and I struggle to get the questions done and end up asking the guy next to me about 100 questions on why we are doing this that and the next thing because I am totally lost in it. it's hard to explain but that's about the jist of it.

So my main question is how do people study, how to you get it into your head and make it stick and then use it. My method right now works ok I have got through all my exams but I think I need a more solid approach for when I come back and the work increases in amount and difficulty, I know people use alot of different methods so just throw them at me and I can start trying them.

Thanks
    Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
    Adapt and over come
    Careers At Sea Ambassador

I use flash cards. Not sure if the library has ones for "heat". But they seem to have a fair few for deckies.
    Repetition is the main help. Your going to understand a piece of work if you read it and makes notes 10 times rather than just the once.
    Good luck with the exam!

Comment

I studied engineering science last year with the misery formula and others and lots of question practice worked for me. That included doing the tutorial questions throughout the course and using revision time to revise earlier sections rather than learning the material for the first time.

I studied Physics at school which made engineering science easier and in a typical class in college, some people will have seen some of the material before so will be starting from a higher base and pick the new material up quicker too.

Hope that helps
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I do re write notes alot with key points etc but I think I need to do it more and keep reading them, depending on the subject it can go in quite quick and others take quite a while. I always do the tutorials given to us which does help I think when I do the questions I need to start to try and understand whats going on more rather than doing it because we have to.

Thanks for the comments though
        Adapt and over come

Comment

yeah if you can understand whats going on, it will stick in your memory much better.
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

yeah that's one to work on for phase 3 that's for sure
            Adapt and over come

Comment

Have a mooch at this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgetting_curve - Mnemonic memory techniques are possibly the best methods; if you're able to implement them.

Comment

I found it hard to get my head around a lot of stuff at college, now I am at sea and see the practical application of things I find it much easier.

For me, it is now a case of being able to recall using something in the real world rather than in a class.

Comment

Working...
                X