Final year degree - Engineering Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final year degree - Engineering Project

Looking for inspiration for a subject/common engineering problem, to base my final year engineering project on (Marine Engineering).
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Shifty

Methods employed by deck officers to break engines?

Comment

Vacum toilet that can handle a shower curtain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LrsshY5U9M
      Last edited by ETwhat?; 22 March 2012, 03:44 PM. Reason: added a link
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

I did a degree dissertation on ways to save fuel.. Once you start looking into it there is huge scope for research.
        Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

yeah fuel savings sounds good - it could branch into more efficient water production on cruise ships, fixed rpm cpp or variable speed fixed pitch propulsion, hull shape, bulbous bows...
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by shifty View Post
            Looking for inspiration for a subject/common engineering problem, to base my final year engineering project on (Marine Engineering).
            Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Shifty
            Converting a standard dual fuel engine to a tri-fuel engine and the cost/carbon benefits...
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

The benefits of condition based maintenance, you could take a real ship and develope a CBM plan for it and show whether or not it would be more cost effective.
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                The benefits of condition based maintenance, you could take a real ship and develope a CBM plan for it and show whether or not it would be more cost effective.
                Oooo! I like!
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

for those who havent heard of CBM, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditi...ed_maintenance
                  Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Some grat ideas chaps, keep them coming.
                    Its not til next year but I really want to smash it, so Im trying to prepare mentally.

Comment

Working...
                    X