International Calling Cards - to use when abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Calling Cards - to use when abroad

Anybody recommend a calling card to get hold of and top up for making calls back to the UK on my mobile while im away?

Ive searched online and theres a card called "Hello World" by Nobel Com, seems decent. 59p a week and calls of say 7p a min from Australia.

Anyone have experience of such cards?

Vodafone passport in Europe, Aus and NZ is pretty good 75p connection then you can use the minutes included in your contract. Do you know where your heading? If not prob best to try and get local sim cards wherever you end up. Most ships have a sat phone prices vary but around 1$ per min so not great.

Comment

im with Tesco so going with Vodafone aint an option right now but will bear it in mind.

Not sure yet, will post when i know. Guessing those foreign sim's won't work in my mobile if its locked to Tesco? Is there a way around it?

Comment

Originally posted by nedbraden View Post
        Guessing those foreign sim's won't work in my mobile if its locked to Tesco? Is there a way around it?
        Best thing to do is go to phones 4 u and get their cheapest phone. all their phones are unlocked so will work anywhere. exception to this is using cheap phones in japan and south korea as the network there is 3g only.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
          Best thing to do is go to phones 4 u and get their cheapest phone. all their phones are unlocked so will work anywhere. exception to this is using cheap phones in japan and south korea as the network there is 3g only.
          So literally their cheapest phone will do? or do i need the cheapest Quad-Band phone? Sorry, im not really up to date with mobile phones!

How many free minutes of calls does a cadet generally get onboard? I know most officers get around 20mins a day with a lot of companies (BP for example).

Comment

Not !00% sure I has a cheap one that worked everywhere I went but maybe ask the guy in the shop.

Sorry not sure about free minutes but I never had any on my ships.

Comment

Ditto on never getting free minutes. We were $30 for 40 minutes 6pm-6am GMT or $30 for 14 minutes the other twelve hours. I never used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Delts28 View Post
                Ditto on never getting free minutes. We were $30 for 40 minutes 6pm-6am GMT or $30 for 14 minutes the other twelve hours. I never used it.
                Yeah I think it all depends on where you are. Its probably cheaper to use your mobile in the Europe. But probably better using the sat phone in the far east etc. where mobiles are very pricey unless you can get local sim cards.

Comment

Working...
                X