seafarers airline ticket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seafarers airline ticket

Hey. I'm supposed to be flying out on Sunday to join a bulker. I am flying with BA but I'm just wondering do I have a seafarers ticket to allow me to bring a max weight of 40kg. My flight info shows myname*dcdt. Does that mean anything the dcdt after my name.

Cheers.

bmsinno

If you have the reference (PNR) number, go here or here and you should be able to see your fare basis and allowances.

Sometimes the increased allowance doesn't show up, but I very much doubt you'd have been booked on anything except a seafarer's ticket.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

If you are working for a reputable (or even in some cases a disreputable) company and they are flying you with a major airline (i.e. not Ryanair or Sleazyjet) then you will almost certainly have the necessary baggage allowance.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Even with the 40KG allowance, chances are you wouldn't need anything above 26KG!
        Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Do also bear in mind that although you have a 40kg baggage allowance the airline / airport limit for the weight of one suitcaes still applies.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

You often have to show your discharge book to prove you are a seafarer and yes, no 1 bag can be above the weight limit for health and safety cobblers.
            Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Also, they may need a letter from your company. The introduction letter to your Captain is good enough...
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I have never in 20 years been asked to show even a discharge book, let alone a letter from the company.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                  I have never in 20 years been asked to show even a discharge book, let alone a letter from the company.
                  Same, I only ever had to show the letter saying "Company takes full responsibility should I be denied entry" once - while flying to Jordan - since I didn't have a visa for there.

If they booked it correctly you will show up on BA's system as a seafarer - they never ask - usually get asked what ship I work on since i guess it must also show up what company I work for. If you checkin online with BA it should say "2 bags x 23kg each" on the boarding pass it prints.

As with baggage - if you are departing from the UK its 23kg max per bag (with BA and most airlines)... on the way back though you can usually get away with the entire amount in 1 bag (gotta love various countries health and safety rules).
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

KLM routinely ask for Seamans Book, but I could wwave anything at them and they would be non the wiser
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                      KLM routinely ask for Seamans Book, but I could wwave anything at them and they would be non the wiser
                      Must be a KLM thing as the RFA travel instructions always warn about KLM, but no other airline.

Comment

maybe, not like it's a problem ever, sometimes they question the lack of visa but just blow that off with a flash of the discharge Book too and jobs a good un
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Flash of a discharge book???
                          Tried that
                          The woman checking me in at Manchester took 45 minutes phoning managers etc to confirm i didn't need a visa, warning me i would be detained by immigration. Only to be told by the person working next to her it would be fine But then i got a free upgrade...its all good in the end
                          Flickr Twitter
                          No man would go to sea if skilled enough to get himslef into prison, for a jail has more room , more honest company , and you are somewhat less likley to drown ( Dr. Samuel Johnson)

Comment

Air Japan/Japan Airlines (can't remember which way round it is, too lazy to JFGI) asked for proof that I was a sailor, my discharge book seemed to confuse the girl but she didn't question it. Jetstar in Australia were absolute gits though and insisted that I had to pay the excess baggage allowance. Company paid the reclaim no problem though. Very irritating when being questioned by three people about why I was trying to take so much baggage on and why I hadn't booked the ticket myself, especially when there was a steady stream of sailors going in and out (according to customs there was normally a dozen of us per day, the airport was a tiny regional one!).

Comment

Air france , well its part of KLM also ask to see your discharge book.
                              Maybe I will never be
                              All the things that I want to be
                              But now is not the time to cry
                              Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Working...
                              X