Steering Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by euan View Post
    The one in the trb is a bit confusing anyway isn't it because it gives you a section to sign off things like pilotage into harbours which I have heard you don't need to do to get your ticket anyway.
    Does it matter whether you don't need to do it to get your ticket? Why not just do it for the hell of it?
    io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
      Does it matter whether you don't need to do it to get your ticket? Why not just do it for the hell of it?
      Was why I did it, plus I needed some form of payment for showing a C/O have to prep and start the ME....
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

No it doesn't really your right there, I should do a few pilotages regardless ! But honestly I don't think any amount of practice will help me be more confident doing a pilotage

Comment

Btw Guinness man! Mint name, best drink in the world!

Comment

Is it 2 hours of pilotage? I thought it was just twice steering under pilotage didn't think it specified a time.

Comment

2 hours mate. I now remember that my training officer did say about that just before I left for sea.

Comment

Originally posted by steamer View Post
                MGN 097 (M) states quite clearly that a steering certificate is not required and that the proof of steering in the TRB is sufficient to obtain an EDH certificate, which then allows you to apply apply for an NOE etc.
                Also a quick search of the MCA website does not find MSF 4307, which leads me to believe that this is no longer valid.
                I would urge anybody reading this thread not to start adding possibly defunct paperwork into their folios and simply follow college advice, otherwise you could end up making the colleges look out of date, or even worse yourself!
                I have reservations regarding copyright of the above link, but I shall leave that one to my colleagues to sort out.
                Sorry to resurrect this thread, but MGN097 does state that you need a steering certificate (or Navigation Watch Rating certificate) to progress to EDH (page 5), so am slightly confused. I am an ex-cadet (P&OCL 1988) that quit after the first sea phase to pursue a career in hydrography. I now want to revisit my earlier career, and was going to pick up an EDH (seems most tug operators would not consider employing ratings without) but I cannot find my deck cadet record book (with the steering certficiate in the middle of it).

This is a bit of a show stopper for me at the moment. I am still in touch with a few of the cadets on my course, and I did serve on tugs inbetween the voyages, so they could retrospectively make up a certificate, but ideally would prefer another solution. Do operators even take a copy of the certificates, and if so would they have them now..... (doubt it)!

Comment

MGN 097 has been replaced a long time ago. You need to look at the following it replaces it https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...12/MSN1862.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                    MGN 097 has been replaced a long time ago. You need to look at the following it replaces it https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...12/MSN1862.pdf
                    Thanks for that, I was still using MIN 473 as reference. Either way I am stuffed until I can find my steering certificate.

Comment

Working...
                    X