No announcement yet.

Steering Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is as others have said no requirement to have an actual certificate - completetion of the relevant part of the TRB is sufficient.

The MCA forms which are intended for ABs and OSs (ie not with a TRB) can be printed from their web site - some cadets get them if the ship there on has them, others don't bother or make their own in publisher - ultimately doesn't matter as long as its completed in the TRB you are fine.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

hi everyone, erm bit worried wonder if anyone could help

I have done my ten hours of steering, but I had the task signed off in the bridge watchkeeping section of the trb but didn't have my certficate signed off and given to me because I was just being myself and didn't finish the steering till the day I left the ship. So my question is, when I go to my next ship, can the it just be signed by the master of that ship ? I just hope I havent made a catastophic cadetship ending mistake here.

Comment

No, you should be fine, as long as you have the hours logged and signed off in your TRB, if you want a steering certificate (which if you have read this thread fully you will note there is [apparently] no need to get it as long as you have the hours logged in the TRB) from the next ship they'll probably want you to prove you can do it, so get an extra couple of hours logged and then ask them to give you the cert.

PS. Thank you for using the search function before you posted!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

It's not cadetship ending however you are a bit of a plank and with luck lesson learnt........Now how to fix, worse case you have to do the 10 hours again, best case, the old man gets you to do some and a pilotage and accepts that you did 10 hours on the basis you had it signed off in your TRB.

Better hope Neptune is smiling that day
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thought some body might say that chiefy! pheww thanks! so I take it that it wont really concern my training company Clyde Marine? I am with four handy they are my sponsors so they are the ones who sign off all my things in the TRB. Come to think of it, My friend from the glasgow college who I spent most of my entire seaphase with, finished his certficate on his second ship my ship having completed some of it on his first ship and their seemed to be no problem with the signing of it, so I am kind of in the same boat as him except I have already had the steering task signed in my trb, but I suppose that could be sorted as well and I could maybe just get a new page for my TRB and then have it signed again on my second ship.

Comment

shouldnt need it re-signing you have done it, they may just ask you to resit it a bit nd then give you the certificate.

Now next time what dont we do?!?!?

Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

ahh well thats my mind at rest now! next time I should be a bit more foreward thinking, productive, less relaxed and not leave stuff till the last minute ha thank you very much sir ( sorry, I realised I didn't call you that before even though your a chief engineer )

Comment

the last cadet that called me sir got scathing sarcasm for months......Chief is just fine (for me others, may disagree)
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

sorry m'lady, won't happen again m'lady. :P

Comment

haha okay then I will bear that in mind chief

Comment

We had an ex BI OM in P&O who refused to acknowledge your presence unless you called him 'Sir'. Very popular he was...
                        io parlo morse

Comment

luckily there was an asteroid strike and th Dinosaurs died out
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

You could always email ship and ask nicely for them to make one up and post it to you. You don't need to use the one in the TRB most companies will have their own.

Comment

The one in the trb is a bit confusing anyway isn't it because it gives you a section to sign off things like pilotage into harbours which I have heard you don't need to do to get your ticket anyway. I never actually did a pilotage on my first ship, was never confident enough! It will hard for me to get that confidence as well.

Comment

IIRC You need at least 2 hrs pilotage steering out of the 10hrs required to get your steering ticket.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
                                X