X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdc121
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    You need the advanced course and sea time it's not one or other.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    You need the advanced course and sea time it's not one or other.

Leave a comment:

• jdc121
    replied
    Hello all,

I thought I would revive this thread as the last information on the subject I'm enquiring about was in 2012.

I'm an OOW Unlimited with four months sea time and now looking for a position on oil tankers. I'm one hundred percent sure this is where I want to be so I have booked myself onto a basic Tanker operations course in November as I didn't do this during my cadetship.

My question is, has anything changed since the replies in 2012? If I have basic Tanker training can I then go on to take an advanced course that will give me a DCE. Or do I need to still have three months sea time to get a DCE.

Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• berdoti
    replied
    Just to add, Most product (clean stuff) tankers are designated as "product/chemical tankers" and therefore you may be required to have both the oil and chemical endorsements by some companies.

Sent from mTalk

Leave a comment:

• Rollo90
    replied
    Thanks for clearing that up!

Leave a comment:

• Silvertop
    replied
    Dirty products are usually crude oil, heavy fuel oil and diesel oil or marine gas oil. No chemical endorsement required. Clean oils are highly refined which can be ruined by contamination, or petrol, aviation fuel, etc. Again no chemical endorsement required there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rollo90
    replied
    I've seen some product tankers that are able to carry dirty products listed as "oil/chemical tankers". Can someone give me some examples of "dirty" products as opposed to clean? And do you need a chemical endorsement to work with "dirty" products?

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    And probably a 2 stroke slow speed engine

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Assuming a liquid tanker, the biggest difference that I can think of off the top of my head would be that you will have the parts of the cargo handling and safety systems (including the IG plant) within the engine room and that on the larger tankers the steam system may well be a bit more extensive than what would be traditionally found on a box boat.

Again, it all comes down to the tanker type, as on the Aframax and upwards you're likely to find that the cargo pump turbines are in the engine room and run off steam whereas on the smaller tankers they may well have deepwell pumps / FRAMO system in use. A lot of it comes down to the type of tanker and what it has been designed to carry as I've seen quite a range of different configurations.

When you say smallish, how small we talking?

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    In terms of engine room and machinery what are main differences between a tanker and say a box boat? On a smallish product tanker what type of engine is it likely to be, (2/4 stroke?)

Leave a comment:

• Rollo90
    replied
    We were told that Tanker Fam at Fleetwood used to be a 5 day course, but instead we were treated to 3 hour lectures once or twice a week for a few weeks. I don't know why it changed, but formats may vary from college to college. The full Tanker Fam of course involves Tanker Fire Fighting as well, which for us was a day at the fire ground.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Nicoll
    replied
    Originally posted by Lmj266 View Post
    Three days of death by powerpoint ��
    Sounds thrilling!

Leave a comment:

• Lmj266
    replied
    Three days of death by powerpoint ��

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Nicoll
    replied
    As a cadet starting in September 2016, I'll be doing a Tanker-Familiarisation course in December. Any chance of a run-down of the content, what to expect and what 'work' is involved?

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Silvertop
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Morse View Post
    I'm a newly qualified OOW with over 8 months on LPG as Cadet & over 3 months on Chemical tankers as cadet.
    From what I'm told I need the Advanced Tanker training to work on LPG tankers.
    So would this mean I have to do; Tanker firefighting, Tanker training basic (combined)& Tanker training Advanced (Gas) for Gas DCE?
    It depends on what training courses you also completed during your cadetship. MSN1866 has all the information you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X