This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And probably a 2 stroke slow speed engine
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I've seen some product tankers that are able to carry dirty products listed as "oil/chemical tankers". Can someone give me some examples of "dirty" products as opposed to clean? And do you need a chemical endorsement to work with "dirty" products?

Comment

Dirty products are usually crude oil, heavy fuel oil and diesel oil or marine gas oil. No chemical endorsement required. Clean oils are highly refined which can be ruined by contamination, or petrol, aviation fuel, etc. Again no chemical endorsement required there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

Just to add, Most product (clean stuff) tankers are designated as "product/chemical tankers" and therefore you may be required to have both the oil and chemical endorsements by some companies.

Sent from mTalk

Comment

Hello all,

I thought I would revive this thread as the last information on the subject I'm enquiring about was in 2012.

I'm an OOW Unlimited with four months sea time and now looking for a position on oil tankers. I'm one hundred percent sure this is where I want to be so I have booked myself onto a basic Tanker operations course in November as I didn't do this during my cadetship.

My question is, has anything changed since the replies in 2012? If I have basic Tanker training can I then go on to take an advanced course that will give me a DCE. Or do I need to still have three months sea time to get a DCE.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

You need the advanced course and sea time it's not one or other.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  You need the advanced course and sea time it's not one or other.
                  Thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                  X