This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrookster View Post
    The usual quali's as per any ship (STCW/COC/blah blah).

Also, a company will probably want you to have the Chemical DCE (Tanker safety). This is not mandatory, however if the chemical scene is anything like the Oil, the chartering companies will likely insist all officers have the DCE, which would make it pretty much mandatory
    Yes, it's a requirement with us for them to have the Oil and Chemical DCE (as Chemical tankers can also be used as Product Tankers)...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread and all, but how long does a DCE last? Is there any limit (practical or otherwise) to how many you can have simultaneously?

Comment

MGN 9

It lasts as long as your CoC lasts (5 years).

In addition to the general requirements for revalidation of a certificate of competency, a tanker
        endorsement will be revalidated provided the master or officer can provide evidence of the
        following service in the preceding 5 years:
        .1 at least 3 months, which need not be continuous, on any type of tanker; or
        .2 at least 6 months on a storage tanker, barge or terminal in operations involving loading or
        discharging of tankers.
        As far as limits, I don't think there are any, I know people who have Oil + Gas Tanker endorsements. Practically though, if the company isn't paying, they are quite expensive. Suppose the hardest part would be getting sea time on all the tanker types, not only to get the actual endorsement, but to keep it valid as well.
        Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Fergus View Post
          Sorry to revive an old thread and all
          I stickied it quite on purpose! Saves on people starting new threads all the time

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
            I stickied it quite on purpose! Saves on people starting new threads all the time
            and here was me thinking it was an accident...
            thanks

Comment

Quick question, does anyone know how if its possible to download a free online pdf for ISGOTT ??

Comment

Originally posted by nauticaLad View Post
                Quick question, does anyone know how if its possible to download a free online pdf for ISGOTT ??
                Possibly, but your college should have a copy...

Comment

Just a quick query. Seen quite a lot of jobs for 3rd Officers on LNG and Oil tankers etc but all requiring the DCE which I can understand , my problem is I've never sailed on a tanker so if I complete the Tanker Fam course how am I meant to go about getting the sea time required for the DCE if they dont employ officers without it ?
                  Seems like a catch-22.

Comment

Another query I am the ship I'm on is a chemical tanker but we mostly carry products. Can I use this time for a chemical endorsement or oil or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                      Another query I am the ship I'm on is a chemical tanker but we mostly carry products. Can I use this time for a chemical endorsement or oil or both?
                      Chem only as the Oil one relates to black oils usually. Are you positive you're on a chem tanker and what IMO type is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                        Hi Lewis - depends on what products you are carrying, you cant use it for both but you can possibly get a reduction in time required if going for a oil on top of your chemical endorsement:

Quote from the important bits:

"The tanker must carry Chemical products/substance described in chapter 17 of
                        International Bulk Chemical (IBC) Code during the training period but may also be
                        on a ballast passage between cargoes for part of the time.
                        Voyages on vessels carrying exclusively vegetable and animal, oils and fats will
                        not be counted as sea service towards UK Chemical Tanker Endorsement ,

3.4 Multiple Endorsements
                        3.4.1 Where endorsements for service on a second or third type of tanker are sought, the requirement for 3 months sea service on the specific type of tanker may be substituted by successful completion of 28 days approved shipboard training, involving at least one loading and one discharging operation.
                        Cheers

Chris
                        Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

If not carrying chemicals, experience does not meet requirements for Chemical DCE. I would recommend Lewis contacts the MCA for a definitive policy.

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                          Chem only as the Oil one relates to black oils usually.
                          Which fractions do you consider to constitute "black oils"?

Comment

Tanker for Oil & Chemical IMO type 2. We don't carry any black oils usually sp98 and base ethanoable (Basically petrol/gasoline), gas oil and aviation fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Which fractions do you consider to constitute "black oils"?
                              Diesel Oil, Fuel Oil, Crude, etc. The ones from the low or heavier end of the distillation process.

Why exactly do you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                                Diesel Oil, Fuel Oil, Crude, etc. The ones from the low or heavier end of the distillation process.

Why exactly do you want to know?
                                Because I have seen nothing from the MCA restricting the cargoes acceptable for issuing an oil tanker endorsement to 'black oils', or indeed any particular type of oil. My DCE and most of my colleagues' were issued on the basis of carrying exclusively MGO and AVCAT, neither of which I would have listed amongst 'black oils'.

Comment

Working...
                                X