Offshore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offshore

I'm currently in an engine cadetship with Farstad offshore and Im wondering what life is like on PSV's and anchor handlers. I would like to know things like crew size, working conditions also things like what the cabins are like. If any body can help it will be much appreciated.
    p.s If i get told to google it again by that ETO then im leaving lol
    lead,follow or get out of the way

Urm, I can give you a basic idea but I don't deal with vessel's like this normally.

A) Life - Busy as. In and out of port regularly and quite bouncy this time of year

B) Crew size - 12 to 15 in total

C) Working conditions - Scrubbing decks whilst being whipped by the bosun (that could just be my imagination ran wild)

D) Cabins - Cabin is a cabin. You'll have a bed, toilet and shower. What more could one need?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

try farstads own web site, they have some GA's on there which will give you an idea of layout and cabin size (even without a scale a bed is roughly bed size etc )

Youtube has some nice clips of PSV's working.....though usually in bad weather the local councils need to fill some of the potholes in out in the North Sea

You will most likely get a weeeee cabin probs with the area of a double bed which will have bed, desk, storage and en suite

Crew size is variable if you're PSV-ing it'll be more steady than if anchor cranking but no more than 20 souls would be about where it'll be.

Working conditions...not sure I understand that bit of the question...however feel free to expand and we can tell you to google then (*giggles hysterically and runs away*)
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks Chiefy, what I should have said is are they good vessels to work on campared to other types of vessels. In regards to being told to google questions instead of asking this forum is that google usually gives me the companies explanation which is usually sugarcoated and a bit vague or it gives me something from wikipedia or the like that was proberbly written by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.
        lead,follow or get out of the way

Comment

PSVs can be very busy at times and dull as dishwater at others. Our company operate MRVs which are assigned long term contracts and regular work. One downside to a pure PSV is the amount of time required in port could be detrimental to your tax status.
          Life is pretty laid back and informal with crews around the 12 mark.

Comment

I would imagine the working conditions won't be very different from standby; on deck orifices do watches while the deckhands do a mix of daywork and watches as requirements change(chipping and painting on deck in summer, chipping and painting in the accommodation in winter). In the ER it depends on the age of the vessel and the company policy; it may be UMS with dayworking(unusual) or watchkeeping like I do.
            '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
            just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
            down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
            new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Working...
            X